Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai Hand Held Gun/Camera

Options
  • 06-05-2020 6:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all,
    I was just wondering I was stopped by Gaidai on M1 and asked for license tell me that I was driving at 145Km/HR. There was another car that overtook me right at that time, I was quite sure I was not driving at 145, I asked him if he was sure that it was me or if he can show me evidence. He couldnt but just said that they zoom and make sure not to make a mistake. I,however, feel that it was mistaken identity and feel like challenging the overspending ticket. He advised I will get the ticket and three penalty points in next four weeks, any advice on how to challenge and what are my chances of being successful?
    Would appreciate your response and guidance.
    Regards
    Abdullah

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Doc.Abdul wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I was just wondering I was stopped by Gaidai on M1 and asked for license tell me that I was driving at 145Km/HR. There was another car that overtook me right at that time, I was quite sure I was not driving at 145, I asked him if he was sure that it was me or if he can show me evidence. He couldnt but just said that they zoom and make sure not to make a mistake. I,however, feel that it was mistaken identity and feel like challenging the overspending ticket. He advised I will get the ticket and three penalty points in next four weeks, any advice on how to challenge and what are my chances of being successful?
    Would appreciate your response and guidance.
    Regards
    Abdullah

To be honest it can be done, but it's a gamble.... All depends on the judge on the day, most district court judges dealing with this sort of issue don't have time to hear the excuses/the reasons etc,

It's possible that you may get a judge who will convict/fine you and this will be overturned on appeal.

Do you have any previous road traffic incidents ? Any convictions ?

I would suggest you contact a solicitor when the fine/points arrive in the post.
    Essentially, it's your word against the word of a Garda, and 99% of the time the court will believe a Garda over an ordinary citizen. (Was the Garda using the new speed radar gun which shows an image of the vehicle? Or the older radar (i think decommissioned version which holds no data on the motorist)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭hierro

I would suggest you contact a solicitor when the fine/points arrive in the post.

And practicing in the relevant district court if at all possible.

Advertisement