Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extend WiFi from wired network

Options
  • 05-05-2020 7:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭

What's the best way to extend the WiFi range using the existing wired network

I have cat 5 at the back of the house connected to the router through a ethernet switch where I want the WiFi .Can I plug something in to the cable to extend the WiFi thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

You'll want a mesh WiFi network with ethernet backhaul - this way you get maximum bandwidth speeds to each device (unlike terrible repeaters).

I personally use Google WiFi, other great option are the TP-Link Deco M3/M5 or Orbi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Loozer

advertsfox wrote: »
    You'll want a mesh WiFi network with ethernet backhaul - this way you get maximum bandwidth speeds to each device (unlike terrible repeaters).

I personally use Google WiFi, other great option are the TP-Link Deco M3/M5 or Orbi.

I'm on 40mb if that matters

I assume the best way to extend the WiFi is to plug something into the cat5?

Loozer wrote: »
    I'm on 40mb if that matters

I assume the best way to extend the WiFi is to plug something into the cat5?
    Yes, CAT5 will be your Ethernet backhaul. Then every wireless AP (or mesh WiFi point in this case) will have maximum connection speed to your router internally. Anything that connects wirelessly, will be able to do some at very high AC1200 speeds that will never drop bandwidth to the router, which is giving up to 1000Mb internally, 40Mb externally.

I'd recommend the Deco M5 for their style / price.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071241G3R/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_i_saCSEbNAPVG8B

The new Google Mesh WiFi is dearer but has Google Homes built into it and is very easy to configure.

https://store.google.com/ie/config/nest_wifi

Thanks I'm looking for something cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Thanks I'm looking for something cheaper?

I had an old router and set it up as an access point. This extended the Wi-Fi reach using a cat 5 link to the active (live) router. The steps to setting this up are fiddly and vary depending on the router make/model.

• Advertisement

Hibernicis wrote: »
    I had an old router and set it up as an access point. This extended the Wi-Fi reach using a cat 5 link to the active (live) router. The steps to setting this up are fiddly and vary depending on the router make/model.

Ya did that before.

Too much bother at my networking skill level

Ya did that before.

Too much bother at my networking skill level
    This is where the mesh comes in. You setup one access point (as your main router) with your WiFi name / password and all future points you add (be it 1, 2 or 22) will have the same details automatically. It will also be a seamless change of connection between the points, you won't be notice a drop (full blanket coverage of your house).

A cheaper version of the Decos exist, just as good for a little over €100 for 3.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07NH1J543/

Advertisement