Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

CCS charging

Options
  • 05-05-2020 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭

I’m not fully understanding these, are they good or to be avoided? Most public chargers don’t seem to support them

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Gael23 wrote: »
    I’m not fully understanding these, are they good or to be avoided? Most public chargers don’t seem to support them

Most chargers are CCS.
    Not to be avoided at all. What makes you think that?

CCS is BMW, Tesla probably most of the rest except for the Leaf as they’ve stuck with the slower japan standard Chademo.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,979 ✭✭✭✭unkel

The Leaf is the only EV you can buy now that uses CHAdeMO. It is an obsolete standard in the western world. I would avoid a car with CHAdeMO charging unless you (almost) never need to use public fast charging

CCS is and has been the standard for many years now. Even Teslas (who used to have their own standard) are now coming with CCS charging

• Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Gumbo wrote: »
    Most chargers are CCS.
    Not to be avoided at all. What makes you think that?

CCS is BMW, Tesla probably most of the rest except for the Leaf as they’ve stuck with the slower japan standard Chademo.

I was looking at charge points on the esb app abd most were type 2 and not CCS

You can filter what connection to search for.
    All the slow chargers are type 2. Every one of them. That’s the universal standard.

Look for the fast chargers. They are CCS.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭JPA

You might want to go over the basics OP, have a look at this thread. https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058001375/1/#post110828038

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Type 2 AC chargers tend to be slower, on-street units, for plugging in while you shop or go to the cinema. They are cheaper equipment so there are more of them. The ESB ones are free to use for now.

CCS are DC fast chargers, and typically deliver electricity at up to 10 times the speed of the AC ones. They tend to be near main routes and are for charging up quickly, then moving on after coffee and a pee. There is a charge for these, plus an overstay fee.

They’re two different but complementary systems, which is why most cars support both. The fact that there is more of one than the other has nothing to do with popularity, more to do with cost to the operator.

fricatus wrote: »
    Type 2 AC chargers tend to be slower, on-street units, for plugging in while you shop or go to the cinema. They are cheaper equipment so there are more of them. The ESB ones are free to use for now.

CCS are DC fast chargers, and typically deliver electricity at up to 10 times the speed of the AC ones. They tend to be near main routes and are for charging up quickly, then moving on after coffee and a pee. There is a charge for these, plus an overstay fee.

They’re two different but complementary systems, which is why most cars support both. The fact that there is more of one than the other has nothing to do with popularity, more to do with cost to the operator.
    So you can plug any EV into a chargepoint?

So you can plug any EV into a chargepoint?

Yes. Once you have the cable.
    So the ESB slow chargers on the side of the road are all type 2 at their end.

Whatever car you have, you have a cable that’s type 2n at one end and your cars connection at the other end.

Think of it like going into a hotel with your phone. It doesn’t matter if it’s apple or Samsung, as long as you bring your charger, the sockets are all 3 pin so you can plug in.

The fast chargers are different. They have the cables built into the chargers themselves and you simply use the head that suits your car. Like pulling up to a petrol pump and you pull out the green or black hand nozzle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭zg3409

Most esb public chargers are 22kW power Max, but most cars can only take 7kW. The higher power esb sites are typically 50kW and most cars can take the full 50kW. They have 3 cables attached, one cable chademo mostly for Nissan leaf, one cable 43kW AC mainly for Renault Zoe, and CCS for the majority of new cars. If travelling long distance you want 50kW charging speed, not 7kW. There is a 7 times speed difference. There are not that many 50kW chargers, you should filter them out and see if they are on your regular long distance routes. If not you won't be able to stop for 30 minutes to an hour and fill up again. Cavan has a shortage on the main road, so I avoid that way. I don't find the 22kW chargers much use as I would need to wait 3 or 4 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭ei9go

The use of the term slow charger is at best unhelpful to anyone trying to understand the system.

It's not the charger that is slow, it's the car.

The car with the fastest charger is the Zoe. It can charge at 22 kW from these SCP's
    I charged from 25% to 100% yesterday and took 41.5 kWh from an SCP in 2 hours so very useful for Zoe
    An increasing amount of new cars have either a standard or optional 11 kW charger, including Kona, e208 and Opel Corsa.
    Older cars can only charge at 7 kW from these chargers including current and some older Leafs, Ioniq, VW, etc
    Older Leafs still can only take 3.3 kW.

The Fast Chargers all have their own cable built in and can charge up to around 50 kW maybe a little less.

• Advertisement

ei9go wrote: »
    The use of the term slow charger is at best unhelpful to anyone trying to understand the system.

The car with the fastest charger is the Zoe. It can charge at 22 kW from these SCP's
    I charged from 25% to 100% yesterday and took 41.5 kWh from an SCP in 2 hours so very useful for Zoe
    An increasing amount of new cars have either a standard or optional 11 kW charger, including Kona, e208 and Opel Corsa.
    Older cars can only charge at 7 kW from these chargers including current and some older Leafs, Ioniq, VW, etc

The Fast Chargers all have their own cable built in and can charge up to around 50 kW maybe a little less.

And don't forget the Tesla Model S and Model X with the optional dual chargers. My car charges at 22-23kW from these chargers too :)

I've never been much of a fan of "slow" chargers but as you say this term is confusing at best. I very, very rarely need public charging (non supercharger) on a long trip as my car has a range of 300-400km, but the once or twice a year that I do, I find it acceptable to have to wait for maybe an hour or so to charge. I was going to have my car converted to CCS (at a cost of €475), but I think I won't bother now

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

€500 now, at least it's a ranger job

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,256 ✭✭✭markpb

unkel wrote: »
    And don't forget the Tesla Model S and Model X with the optional dual chargers. My car charges at 22-23kW from these chargers too :)

How do you know if you have a single or dual charger?

Two easy ways. Put your VIN in a VIN check website. Or the ultimate proof: drive to one of the ESB slow chargers, plug in your 32A cable and the car will tell you at what speed it charges. In the older Model S / Model X it is either 11kW (single charger) or 22kW (dual charger)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I said it in 2017 when I bought my first electric car they should stop all the f**king around with connections and just move everyone to CCS. End of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭ei9go

unkel wrote: »
    Two easy ways. Put your VIN in a VIN check website. Or the ultimate proof: drive to one of the ESB slow chargers, plug in your 32A cable and the car will tell you at what speed it charges. In the older Model S / Model X it is either 11kW (single charger) or 22kW (dual charger)

Am I wrong in thinking that some Tesla's do 16.5 kW

• Registered Users Posts: 21,560 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Am I wrong in thinking that some Tesla's do 16.5 kW
    Facelift cars with "high amperage chargers" do 16.5kW/24a.

So say if you charged a Kona using a 22kw on street spcharger, it would only charge at 11kw due to the onboard charger. Do I have that right?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

So say if you charged a Kona using a 22kw on street spcharger, it would only charge at 11kw due to the onboard charger. Do I have that right?

Yes, the charge will always be limited to the on-board charger in the car, in this example 11kw in the Kona

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

And only if the car came with a 3 phase type 2 cable. I believe not all of them (or the eSoul or the eNiro) did. On a single phase cable, they can only charge at 7kW

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

slave1 wrote: »
    Yes, the charge will always be limited to the on-board charger in the car, in this example 11kw in the Kona

Well, the lowest of cars on-board charger, the capabilities of the chargepoint and the charging cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,560 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Unless it's a 2020MY Kona and the 3 phase cable was supplied, it would charge at 7kW

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭dbloke

This Youtube channel explains all things EV exceptionally well:

https://youtu.be/yCjtiCFTFbk

Advertisement