Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Open Letter to Primary Principals

Options
  • 05-05-2020 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Dear Principal,

I have been consulted by a number of principals of late, and have heard and seen talk about having teachers ‘carrying-over’ the same class into academic next year. I implore you, please do not force this upon your staff. There are numerous reasons why this is an idea that needs a lot more discussion and consultation than we can give at the present time.

First and foremost, teachers are currently in a position where they have even greater contact with parents than they would have prior. Parents are able to contact them on Google classroom, Seesaw, Zoom, Aladdin, Skype, e-mail, Edmodo, or any other distance teaching app being implemented. Teachers are receiving and answering emails at all hours of the day and night, phoning to check-in with families, preparing and delivering work, preparing differentiated distance learning tools and more. By June, both parents and teachers will be fatigued. This is not something that you want to carry through to next year.

Additionally, all teachers have strengths and weaknesses. Some are stronger at Gaeilge, some English, some maths. Most primary school allow for children to experience a variety of teachers and their strengths, and benefit from these over an 8-year period. Additionally, working with a large variety of teacher prepares students to become resilient, benefiting them as they progress to secondary school. Forcing teachers to carry their class on for another year removes this opportunity for students.

There is another issue which can certainly arise, one I have recently seen called ‘teacher resentment’. In many schools, some classes may unjustly have been given the title of being the 'difficult' class, while some are seen as the 'easier' class. The justness of such titles is unimportant. Having one teacher get the 'easy' class for 2 years, while another gets the 'hard' class for two years at this late stage will breed resentment, a feeling we do not want to foster as we return to a very changed educational landscape in September.

Teachers having classes for 2 years can be a positive thing. It is something which research has repeatedly shown can be hugely beneficial, and one which has been implemented as policy in our school for nearly a decade. From implementing it in my school, I can say that it needs to be decided at a whole school level, and be in place much earlier than now. It is not a step to be taken lightly, or taken swiftly in response to these circumstances. If this is something you want to implement in your school, discuss it over the course of next year and write it into policy. Don't implement it as a reaction to the current pandemic. To get the full benefits from this, research shows that it needs to be planned, structured, and accepted as part of school culture.

In conclusion, I would actively discourage principals in forcing teachers to 'carry-over' their class. In the majority of cases, it will only breed contempt and a negative staff atmosphere, which would be contrary to the climate we need to create if we are to be successful in making up the deficit foisted on our students by this pandemic.

Your truly,

A. Principal

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Why are so many principals "consulting" you? Certainly not mentioned in any school I'm in contact with and that's at least 20 spread throughout the country. In any case, would you not do better to circulate this through the IPPN, where actual principals could answer rather than anyone who may not even be teaching could post here?

Every school should have an agreed staff rotation policy. In line with this, most schools ask teachers to submit a class preference of (usually) 3 options.

"Carrying a class over" happens all the time in smaller schools, some for up to 4 years , depending on the size of the school. I find your use of the words "contempt" "resentment" force" and "negative staff atmosphere very interesting and somewhat disappointing from someone who says they are a school leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

I don't get registering a new account to post this? Surely it's a fair enough opinion, some will agree with, others won't but it's not controversial.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Primary Principal

Why are so many principals "consulting" you? Certainly not mentioned in any school I'm in contact with and that's at least 20 spread throughout the country. In any case, would you not do better to circulate this through the IPPN, where actual principals could answer rather than anyone who may not even be teaching could post here?

Every school should have an agreed staff rotation policy. In line with this, most schools ask teachers to submit a class preference of (usually) 3 options.

"Carrying a class over" happens all the time in smaller schools, some for up to 4 years , depending on the size of the school. I find your use of the words "contempt" "resentment" force" and "negative staff atmosphere very interesting and somewhat disappointing from someone who says they are a school leader.
    byhookorbycrook, they are consulting me because they know that it is a system we already operate in our school. Teachers have taken classes for 2 years for a long time. This does not work in every instance due to maternity leaves, temporary contracts, career breaks and other such leaves, but it has been a successful endeavour. Given the unknown school norm for next year, principals who know we operate in this manner have come to me to get advice.

I am aware that 'carrying over a class' happens in smaller schools. That is unavoidable. I am not addressing these schools. I am addressing schools wherein getting a new teacher yearly for a class is not only possible, but the established norm. (PS, I had contacted the IPPN on this issue already. They are a fantastic service.)

You may be disappointed by my choice of wording, but I am sure you can agree that class allocation can be a sensitive subject among certain members of staff. Emotions of 'unfair treatment' and 'favouritism' can be rife at this time, which can cultivate an undesirable school atmosphere. I am merely speaking from my own experience as a teacher and principal. Perhaps this isn't the case in every school.

deiseindublin, I am a long time poster here, and have connections with a number of other members of this board. As such, I would rather not post this outlook on my main profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,012 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I take issue with the fact that you think all primary teachers are so engaged with their pupils and parents since schools shut.
    Have you read the other threads about primary school teachers (not all) and the lockdown?
    Pull the other one.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Primary Principal

I take issue with the fact that you think all primary teachers are so engaged with their pupils and parents since schools shut.
    Have you read the other threads about primary school teachers (not all) and the lockdown?
    Pull the other one.
    I have read them. I do not know what is happening in other schools. I do know exactly what is happening in mine.

This thread was aimed at other principals. I assume that they know how engaged each of their staff are with their students. They can use this knowledge to inform any advice they may choose to take from my letter.

If staff are continuing to engage with students and parents via any of the above methods (as mine are) then I would not suddenly force or attempt to persuade them to continue on with the same class, as it may work in the opposite way to what the principal may envision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,012 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I have read them. I do not know what is happening in other schools. I do know exactly what is happening in mine.

This thread was aimed at other principals. I assume that they know how engaged each of their staff are with their students. They can use this knowledge to inform any advice they may choose to take from my letter.

If staff are continuing to engage with students and parents via any of the above methods (as mine are) then I would not suddenly force or attempt to persuade them to continue on with the same class, as it may work in the opposite way to what the principal may envision.

OK fair enough, I just didn't want you blinded to the fact that all primary teachers are as conscientious as your staff are.
    I am talking from experience and not just parroting other threads.
    It's just a fact of life ultimately in all walks of society that some staff take their jobs more seriously than others.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

I think it's a good point. My own kids have great primary teachers, but I'd really like them to draw a line under 2019-2020. Going back to the same teacher (if it's unavoidable) will be like groundhog Day.
    I appreciate the same teacher would know exactly where they're at and be able to pick up, but Id be just as happy if they got the new books and drove through that red light.
    Maybe have a debriefing session for a couple of days with the old teacher to discuss how they grew as individuals.
    I know it's not possible in a lot of smaller schools.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Treppen, most primary schools do a " handover" to the next year's teacher when they go back before the children and it works quite well. The next school year will be a strange one, but there's no reason to break with school policy.

I'm going to say again that I haven't heard any such issues being raised and that the IPPN is the place for this. I'm glad to say, hand on heart that we don't have the kind of negativity that the OP speaks of re class allocations.This is because we have a robust and transparent policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Ellsbells1

We have one very good teacher who is doing online learning well, the other two have been shocking so I would hate for this to happen as online learning is more than likely going to be with us into the new school year too.

Advertisement