Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Groupset questions

Options
  • 05-05-2020 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

Grateful for any views or comments....

I'm not racing, or even a very serious cyclist, so all of this falls into the totally unnecessary category....

I have a couple of bikes, all shimano bar one, my favourite and "good" bike. This has Campagnolo Athena. I've tried but even after a couple of years I just cannot get along with it, primarily because it just doesn't shift quickly /smoothly /reliably and doesn't find and hold a gear consistently, needs trim every time I change front derailleur. This is not just after my own ham fisted fiddling but also 2 different bike shops....

When I go out for a spin on a ten years old bike with ultegra it just reminds me what sharp, reliable shifting should be like...

So I'm thinking,

1) bring the bike somewhere else for a final attempt at setting up the gears properly (heart not in it) , or

2) switch groupset, which leads on to,

2a), ultegra di2 is more than I need right? Not worth spending extra for dura ace di2 (I mean extra if difference between heavily discounted sale prices I can find... But still a lot extra), is di2 worth it? Feel like I should try it but maybe mechanical is the way to go,

2b) I'm not going to get along with campy record mechanical am I?

2c) I've swapped groupet (shimano) from one bike to another before, but never Campagnolo, so I'll need new tools to strip the campy stuff off the bike? If I can swap a mechanical groupset I can probably install a di2 one?

2d) if I go to shimano I'll need new wheels, but seems I could just get a free hub body? (fulcrum 5s at the moment)...

Finally, best prices I can find are around 1k for ultegra di2 and 1600 for dura ace 9150 di2, this around the right ball-park or should I be holding out for some bargains??

Edit, Google says my bike is Di2/ EPS ready, but to be sure to be sure, how do I check? Remove bottom bracket and look for the holes in the frame for hiding stuff?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

Grateful for any views or comments....

I'm not racing, or even a very serious cyclist, so all of this falls into the totally unnecessary category....

I have a couple of bikes, all shimano bar one, my favourite and "good" bike. This has Campagnolo Athena. I've tried but even after a couple of years I just cannot get along with it, primarily because it just doesn't shift quickly /smoothly /reliably and doesn't find and hold a gear consistently, needs trim every time I change front derailleur. This is not just after my own ham fisted fiddling but also 2 different bike shops....

When I go out for a spin on a ten years old bike with ultegra it just reminds me what sharp, reliable shifting should be like...

So I'm thinking,

1) bring the bike somewhere else for a final attempt at setting up the gears properly (heart not in it) , or

2) switch groupset, which leads on to,

2a), ultegra di2 is more than I need right? Not worth spending extra for dura ace di2 (I mean extra if difference between heavily discounted sale prices I can find... But still a lot extra), is di2 worth it? Feel like I should try it but maybe mechanical is the way to go,

2b) I'm not going to get along with campy record mechanical am I?

2c) I've swapped groupet (shimano) from one bike to another before, but never Campagnolo, so I'll need new tools to strip the campy stuff off the bike? If I can swap a mechanical groupset I can probably install a di2 one?

2d) if I go to shimano I'll need new wheels, but seems I could just get a free hub body? (fulcrum 5s at the moment)...

Finally, best prices I can find are around 1k for ultegra di2 and 1600 for dura ace 9150 di2, this around the right ball-park or should I be holding out for some bargains??

Edit, Google says my bike is Di2/ EPS ready, but to be sure to be sure, how do I check? Remove bottom bracket and look for the holes in the frame for hiding stuff?
    It could be something not obvious like a bent derailleur hanger causing problems.
    I've never rode campy so cant review it.
    I currently have ultegra hydro mechanical and it's perfect. Imo 105 hydro is the most anyone needs.
    Only time groups cone on sale is when a new one is released.
    If you want to save money theres plenty of good stuff on adverts done deal.
    You could swap in and out di2 but you cant repair it like a mechanical group.
    If money isnt an issue consider etap.
    Fulcrums are a common wheel so yes it should be possible, but if it's more than 3 years old you might be best buying a new wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

.... just when it’s calmed down a bit after that Covid thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

O.P.
    I've said it before in this forum, in relation to a similar situation.
    That all sounds very complicated, just buy a new bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

coastwatch wrote: »
    .... just when it’s calmed down a bit after that Covid thread...

Sorry I've no idea what this means?

Eamonnator wrote: »
    O.P.
    I've said it before in this forum, in relation to a similar situation.
    That all sounds very complicated, just buy a new bike.

Normal that would be my line of reasoning too but this is a fairly nice bike and I'd sooner keep it and address the groupset issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

Sorry I've no idea what this means?

There can be strong opinions on which groupset brand is the better, but it usually comes down to personal preference, and maybe the cost of switching.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

If we only bought what we NEED, none of us would have nice bikes! :) If you Want Di2, go for it I say.

coastwatch wrote: »
    There can be strong opinions on which groupset brand is the better, but it usually comes down to personal preference, and maybe the cost of switching.

Of course, gotchya thanks!

I wasn't trying to do that at all and was being rather clumsy if that's how it seems. An old spec athena which I'm having my own tribulations with obviously doesn't speak to the campag brand, equally I've come from a long history of shimano so am predisposed to that.

Just to be clear, I'd be willing to consider putting Campagnolo record on the bike, but it would be mechanical due to pricing. I also wouldn't have a crack at it myself, and not sure how easy to find a place to do this right now.

For DIY and familiarity reasons I'm probably leaning towards shimano, and maybe Di2.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I upgraded my ‘good’ bike from Ultegra 6800 to R8050 Di2. I done the whole job myself and it’s very easy to do if you take your time and route everything neatly and carefully. If you can manage a mechanical groupset then Di2 will be no bother to you and there are plenty of videos on YouTube on how to set up the front and rear derailleurs (I found Arts Cyclery’s videos very good and used them)

Di2 Ultegra is all you need. Dura Ace is only for the real weight weenies and not worth the extra €600.

I have only ever ridden one bike with Campy Potenza and I didn’t like it although it was only for around 20 min.

Great thanks for that.

No buyers remorse?

Did you shop around before buying? I've found a German place selling for a shade over 1k plus postage, is that about the best I'll do or should I keep looking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Plastik

I've two bikes with Campag - Athena11 and Chorus11, one with DA9000 and all run flawlessly - so there's something wrong somewhere in the system if your Athena isn't like that. What frameset is it? The only bike I've had problems dialling in c11 on before was on a Storck Absolutist. Only I haven't been bothered yet I'd gladly strip off the DA and replace with Chorus or Record.

For stripping the Athena off you won't need any special tools unless the cranks are Powertorque. Campag threaded BB cups come off with the same tool for doing Shimano BSA.

Thanks. Yes definitely something is off so, which I sort of knew really.

Anywhere you'd recommend around Central or South Dublin?? Just asking on off chance you'd have a recommendation.

Bike is a bianchi infinito

Last place that had the bike I specifically mentioned this and asked if they'd spend a while setting up the gears for me, as part of a service with full cable change... They clipped one of the cables so short that it pulls when the bars are turned.... I wouldn't make a mistake like that myself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Plastik

Make contact with Lucasz of Apex Cycles on Facebook. He's based in Kildare but runs a collection service and is around s/dub a lot. Quite a lot of people on here use him and he's well versed in Campag - plus if it comes to it he has the very expensive tool for removing Powertorque crankss!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if you're near the northside of dublin (and assuming they're not one of the places you've already tried), derek humphries should be well versed with both bianchi and campagnolo

if you're near the northside of dublin (and assuming they're not one of the places you've already tried), derek humphries should be well versed with both bianchi and campagnolo

Thanks and in normal times I would but I'm a fair bit away from Finglas and not sure this would fall into an essential journey category!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Ferris Wheels on the Rock Road is open, I think by appointment but I've seen him wheeling bikes into his shop today.

The too short cable would really annoy me! I'd be raging if that happened to a bike of mine.

Maybe your derallier or hanger is bent, either way I think you definitely need to buy a whole new groupset, Di2 stat!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Great thanks for that.

No buyers remorse?

Did you shop around before buying? I've found a German place selling for a shade over 1k plus postage, is that about the best I'll do or should I keep looking?

No none, I love it. Smooth precise gears changes every time and no adjustment needed.

I priced around but eventually bought it from Bike24 in Germany. They had a flash sale last November and I got it for €950 delivered. It was the full kit and included brake cables (inner and outer) and the tool needed for plugging in wires. I also bought the grommet kit for my bike and a steerer mount so that once I started I had everything I needed to complete the job in one go.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Joey Joe-Joe Jr

Worth spending €25 or thereabouts on a derailleur hanger even if only to rule that out. I spent endless hours adjusting what I thought was a ‘troublesome’ 12 year old rear mech. Decided to replace the hanger first and immediately I was back to nice crisp shifting.

Advertisement