Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warning if changing your Three.ie prepay plan

Options
  • 05-05-2020 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭

I was on the all you can eat 3 prepay plan for years as I don't make a lot of calls it suited me fine.

Yesterday I was on the new backend and I saw that I could upgrade for the same €20 per month but get 60 minutes of talk time. When I went to upgrade my account it said that I needed to top up by €20 to take effect which I did.

This is what I thought.

I'd top-up by €20 to change the plan TRUE
    It would be free to change plans FALSE (Costs €20)
    I would receive the €20 top-up credit on my account FALSE (Balance stays the same.)
    I could still use my credit on other things like in the app store FALSE (this has been stopped with my new plan)

All this was confirmed by a Three rep on the phone.

So I have lost the ability to use my credit in other places and was charged €20 for changing my plan.

Please think about this if you are going to change plans, the bright side is that after years and years with Three I can now shop around and move.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Aye, the keep your credit method is not available to new customers now and you can't go back if you change.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

If the plan wasn't clear in the terms & conditions, you are able to fight your case and revert back.

Tesco mobile had the same issue when they brought put the 4G data plan. All previous plans allowed keeping the credit, where this new one did not. That change needs to be clearly identified. If its not, then you should be able to switch back to your existing terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Here's a recent thread about it...
    https://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058065914

IMO the process of changing plans is a bit sneaky. Networks should be obliged to show a side-by-side comparison of old and new plans before confirming the plan change and a final step making it clear which benefits are lost / gained.

There should also be a 14 day cooling off timescale during which customers can revert to previous plan terms.

New plans are almost never beneficial to consumers, the networks use them to reduce plan benefits which consequently increases revenue. Legacy plans with better benefits are almost impossible to terminate (without closing down the company!) so these new plans are used to get around that restriction.

OP should lodge a complaint and then go to Comreg if no success with Three.

Three were charging 35c per minute for calls on the keep credit plan so there was already 57 minutes included, albeit indirectly. They were already making a big margin at that rate of 35c, the new plan just applies that charge across the board.

The change in Dec 2019 to include NGNs in plan minutes has impacted their revenue and these plan changes are an attempt to regain some of that.

Advertisement