Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basically: Stefanie Preissner Podcast

Options
  • 05-05-2020 9:36am
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭


    Why does she think she is an oracle for a generation. Anyone else find the constant willingness to explain everything to us annoying.

    New podcast, seen it was number 2 in the Irish charts.......... what is the audience for this?


Comments

  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35


    I've never heard of her. What is the podcast about?


  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭TomTree


    Kingp35 wrote: »
    I've never heard of her. What is the podcast about?

    Well the first episode is explaining Covid-19 as far as I can see.

    Episode to follow on explaining the foundation of the government parties in Ireland.


  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath


    TomTree wrote: »
    Why does she think she is an oracle for a generation. Anyone else find the constant willingness to explain everything to us annoying.

    New podcast, seen it was number 2 in the Irish charts.......... what is the audience for this?

    Seeing as it’s number 2 in the Irish charts, I assume that her willingness to explain is at least partly based on the fact that there’s clearly an audience willing to listen to those explanations ...


  • Posts: 0 [Deleted User]


    Kingp35 wrote: »
    I've never heard of her. What is the podcast about?

    she became well-known because she used to be fat

    that is actually the exact truth


  • Registered Users Posts: 14,505 ✭✭✭✭Arghus


    You could always try not listening to it.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭TomTree


    glasso wrote: »
    she became well-known because she used to be fat

    that is actually the exact truth

    she refused to talk about that in interviews pre covid yet I see her cracking out the old pics now.


  • Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN


    glasso wrote: »
    she became well-known because she used to be fat

    that is actually the exact truth

    ... plus the fact she wrote some TV comedy for RTe.

    Its name escapes me now.


  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭TomTree


    Arghus wrote: »
    You could always try not listening to it.

    I have not listened to it, trying to gauge the appetite of people as it seems popular but dont see the appeal.


  • Posts: 0 [Deleted User]


    TomTree wrote: »
    she refused to talk about that in interviews pre covid yet I see her cracking out the old pics now.

    :confused:

    many people probably first knew of her due to the late late interview where the entire interview was about the fact that she used to be a whale and (unsaid but the only reason that she was on there) that when she lost the 10 stone + she looked pretty.


  • Registered Users Posts: 21,011 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams


    glasso wrote: »
    she became well-known because she used to be fat

    that is actually the exact truth

    was it not becuase she had a fairly successful tv drama commissioned by RTE and is now showing abroad and on netflix (i think)?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭TomTree


    NIMAN wrote: »
    ... plus the fact she wrote some TV comedy for RTe.

    Its name escapes me now.

    but now an authority on public health and government. But wont give her own political views or leanings ....


  • Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN


    was it not becuase she had a fairly successful tv drama commissioned by RTE and is now showing abroad and on netflix (i think)?

    Of course it was, you don't get invited on to a chat show simply cos you were fat once.


  • Posts: 0 [Deleted User]


    this is all I recall from the interview. maybe other stuff was covered but afaik this part was at the start of it and was the intro point



  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms


    TomTree wrote: »
    Why does she think she is an oracle for a generation.

    Because that is what the all papers called her when her tv show launched.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms


    TomTree wrote: »
    but now an authority on public health and government. But wont give her own political views or leanings ....

    Like every other podcast host. I am not a fan. But she clearly has an audience and is presumably funding it herself. So more power to her.


  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭TomTree


    glasso wrote: »
    this is all I recall from the interview. maybe other stuff was covered but afaik this part was at the start of it and was the intro point


    There are plenty of more successful Irish writers that dont get half as much screen time or radio time, but possible its a sign of lack of writing inspiration and trying to pay the bills.


  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭TomTree


    Like every other podcast host. I am not a fan. But she clearly has an audience and is presumably funding it herself. So more power to her.

    not to take any power off her at all, just wanting to see who is the audience, her books are very niche memoir type genre, would just presume that audience of people who follow her would know the difference between FF and FG, maybe not.


  • Posts: 0 [Deleted User]


    NIMAN wrote: »
    Of course it was, you don't get invited on to a chat show simply cos you were fat once.

    this is "The Late Late Show" with Ryan Tubridy on RTE we are talking about, not the Tonight Show with Jay Leno (now Jimmy Fallon)

    people have been on for less.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms


    glasso wrote: »
    this is "The Late Late Show" with Ryan Tubridy on RTE we are talking about, not the Tonight Show with Jay Leno (now Jimmy Fallon)

    people have been on for less.

    To be fair, people have been on The Late Late to discuss weight loss. But it is not the case with Preissner. Like most of the guests on The Late Late, she was on to promote another RTE show.


  • Posts: 0 [Deleted User]


    To be fair, people have been on The Late Late to discuss weight loss. But it is not the case with Preissner. Like most of the guests on The Late Late, she was on to promote another RTE show.

    fair enough. didn't seem that way to me from the interview.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭TomTree


    glasso wrote: »
    fair enough. didn't seem that way to me from the interview.

    I agree, lot of obvious self promotion from her, which she thinks is subtle enough that people wont notice it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN


    She was the golden child of Rte for a while, every time you switched on she seemed to be there.


  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭TomTree


    NIMAN wrote: »
    She was the golden child of Rte for a while, every time you switched on she seemed to be there.

    They seem to think she is the voice of the a generation alright.


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.


    What's number 1 in the chart? Or what other new entries are there? Why no rants about the wide spectrum of other podcasts available?

    One of the best things about podcasting is that anybody can find an audience as opposed to traditional media where programming is curated by a broadcaster.

    The fact that this is popular would indicate it has some merit. RTE are hardly going around downloading the podcasts on thousands of devices just to create some new icon.


  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭TomTree


    S.M.B. wrote: »
    What's number 1 in the chart? Or what other new entries are there? Why no rants about the wide spectrum of other podcasts available?

    One of the best things about podcasting is that anybody can find an audience as opposed to traditional media where programming is curated by a broadcaster.

    The fact that this is popular would indicate it has some merit. RTE are hardly going around downloading the podcasts on thousands of devices just to create some new icon.

    Louis Theroux was number one at the time of original posting. No particular rant about any spectrum of the podcast world.

    I was posting a question to see who or if anyone could validate what the audience would be for the new podcast in the chart, by SP

    Never implicated RTE in any download conspiracy.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭lucalux


    I just remember her from writing that play 'Solpadeine is My Boyfriend' and the TV show 'Can't Cope, Won't Cope' with Seana Kerslake, that's on Netflix still afaik


Advertisement