Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir competition

Options
  • 05-05-2020 9:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭

While browsing on my Mac this popped up

"eir is holding an anniversary celebration for next 7 days (May.5 -> May.12) to thank your loyalty for using us as Internet Provider.

We will select 10 lucky users everyday to win an exclusive gift from us, including free Apple iPhone Xs, Samsung Galaxy S10, Apple Watch for choosing us. And Your IP address @###### has been selected. (I've removed my IP address here)

You have to simply answer our anonymous survey below to win your prize. Hurry up! 8 users have received this invitation and there are only 2 prizes to win."

Does anyone know anything about this? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Sounds like a scam to me (“using us as internet provider” for example).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Also what anniversary is it? Why hasn’t it been advertised on their social media? And they’d have your email address if you were a customer and wouldn’t pick an IP address at random. Don’t click!

There are so many things wrong here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭forumdedum

Also what anniversary is it? Why hasn’t it been advertised on their social media? And they’d have your email address if you were a customer and wouldn’t pick an IP address at random. Don’t click!

There are so many things wrong here.

Thanks for that, all good points.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Complete scam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

people actually believe these texts????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭forumdedum

I was on a 15 inch screen laptop. They had nailed the Eir logo, webpage design etc. Very realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭Xterminator

And the URL and cert ? Copying a page layout & logo is not uncommon anymore.

https://ed451phishnpharm.weebly.com/how-to-spot-a-fake-website-pharming.html

Caveat emptor is more applicable today then ever!

Advertisement