Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for C64C SID chip for test (or someone to test mine)

Options
  • 05-05-2020 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    My C64C's sound has stopped working.
    I checked the 9V on the PSU (it's a new PSU) and the fuse, and I also reseated the SID Chip in it's socket.
    I also tried 2 different sets of cables on 2 different TV's but still no sound :(

It's probably the SID chip but I don't want to get a new one unless I'm sure as they seem to be about 40 Euro for one - TBH, I'd probably get an ARMSID if I get a new one as they are about 35 including shipping

Does anybody here have a spare one that they could lend me to test if that's the issue ??

I know it's a long shot but thought I'd ask.

Edit : Just thinking - another option - if anyone is willing to test my SID chip I could send it to them

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I've a C64C mainboard so I could test the SID if wanted

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Thanks !
    Actually - just got a reply from someone to my post on lemon64 and they suggested setting the volume up to max as when the SID chip dies it can just be very quiet.
    So I just did it and I can just about hear music so it must be the SID chip so.
    So thanks again, but looks like it's time for a new chip.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Ah brilliant !
    I have a SID chip somewhere, been looking and havent found it yet , if I find it I'll post it to you

Dr Bob wrote: »
    Ah brilliant !
    I have a SID chip somewhere, been looking and havent found it yet , if I find it I'll post it to you
    Thanks man ! You came to my rescue before when you lent me your tape drive for testing also !

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

hey , no worries , good news I found it if you still want it
    Bad news is its from a breadbin C64 (its a 6581) so not sure if its compatible
    Its yours if you want it though

• Advertisement

Dr Bob wrote: »
    hey , no worries , good news I found it if you still want it
    Bad news is its from a breadbin C64 (its a 6581) so not sure if its compatible
    Its yours if you want it though
    Hey - thanks so much - I really appreciate it, but it looks like it might be a bit messy to do it: https://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29759&sid=047dc8df9fb42daeeaa9f4ff21dfefcb

I've ordered the ARMSID so hopefully it will arrive soon

Thanks again !

OK- so an update - the ARMSID arrived today and I have sound again :D

Thanks all for the help !

Advertisement