Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decking questions

Options
  • 04-05-2020 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm planning a deck for the back-garden, about 6x5m on a slope. I'll probably opt for composite material. I'm experienced as a woodworker, but not with construction so I have lots of questions.

One side of the deck will be up against the house - is it normal to pin the deck to the wall of the house, the Americans appear to do this using a ledger board, but they use a lot more wood in their construction than we do. I'm also trying to understand what size posts (100x100mm?), joists (250x50mm?) and beams (?)are typical for this kind of thing? Then there's the concrete post supports - what's the best solution?

Any decking experts here?

-cheers.
    Tagged:

Advertisement