Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scat I. D

Options
  • 04-05-2020 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

Hi. I just found this behind my house. Any ideas what animal left it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Pic

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Again, attachments and Boards still acting up, I'm afraid.

Yay! Should I do something or will it sort itself out later when traffic levels drop?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

God only knows... in the meantime, someone suggesting uploading images on this site and then embedding them here.

https://ibb.co/PxbDj2f
    Hopefully that does the trick!

• Advertisement

Silly question, are you positive that's scat and not a rotten blackberry?

New Home wrote: »
    Silly question, are you positive that's scat and not a rotten blackberry?

Very positive as its about the same size as 4 fingers

Well, that must've been a giant blackberry, so, :)

I'm not too sure, I don't think I can help you, but if I were to hazard a guess I'd say badger. If it were long instead of round, I'd say hedgehog, but with that shape... some bird, perhaps?

Told you I couldn't really help. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

So I did a google image search on your pic and came across this which I thought looked very similar.

01372289.jpg

...though probably not it's from a Brown Bear!!

Any deer in the area?

The below is Deer scat... quite similar.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=18112.0;attach=1742;image

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

I wouldn't think that looks anything like a Deer, there's a lot of seeds in there, I'd be thinking Ivy berries. Fox would be top of my list.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Pine Marten?

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

fryup wrote: »
    Pine Marten?
    Pine Marten would be a good 'suspect' if they are in the area.....

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭forgottenhills

Scotty # wrote: »
    So I did a google image search on your pic and came across this which I thought looked very similar.

Any deer in the area?

That doesn't look like any deer poo I have ever seen. Deer poo that you see, certainly walking through Irish woods, is a collection of small round green pellets, similar to that of sheep. I would guess badger poo for the OP's photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Looks like badger scat to me.

Scotty # wrote: »

01372289.jpg

...though probably not it's from a Brown Bear!!

Any deer in the area?

It's been a while since we had any bears I think!!
    Yes that looks quite similar and I found more in a different field today. The seeds had me puzzled but we do have loads of black berries growing off a type of ivy.
    Thing is most of that is well out of reach of badgers so would that narrow it down to pine martens or deer?

Advertisement