Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

13-inch MacBook Pro updated

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,511 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Criticism of cameras in Macbooks in the comments thread there, I've seen that elsewhere too. Can the Cupertino people not just up the spec a bit?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I think the issue with the camera is that a better one wouldn't fit. They'd have to make the display thicker or have a bump on the outside of the lid.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

8th Gen processors on the lower end models are a complete joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Disappointing update, due an upgrade on my 13 inch. Was hoping for a larger panel with smaller bezels like the 16 inch. Prefer the 13 for portability, but might just go with the 16 this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Very little reason for the average Apple purchaser to pick a Macbook Pro over a Macbook Air at this stage.

Air is more than capable for the ordinary user. Given that a lot of people actively dislike the touchbar, the storage and displays are the same, the only difference is really the chip. Most users never go near maxing out the chip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭fjon

I've been keeping an eye on this as I reckon my 7 year old MBP is due to be replaced in the coming years. I can't really see enough of an impetus to upgrade here, especially at that price.

Was also looking at the new MacBook Air - how is it possible that the specs on my old laptop are nearly the same as a new MBA? Same storage, RAM, camera, probably comparable processor (Haswell 2.0 quad core i7 vs 10th gen 1.1 dual core i3). And the lack of ports...

For now I'm just thinking I'll keep this going as long as I can, maybe get a new battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭RobTheLad

My 13" MBP with 10th Gen i5 arrived yesterday (i5, 16GB/512 SSD). I was coming from a Late 2013 13" MBP, so a good few differences to my old one. Overall very happy with it, still to fully set everything up, but so far everything is super snappy and responsive. I didn't endure the butterfly keyboard, so probably not noticing as big a change here. The speakers are amazing, can't believe the quality out of something so thin and small. I miss mag safe, but the ability to charge on either side of the laptop negates the main use of magsafe for me. Expensive machine, but after having many Windows machines in the past, my last MBP was the best laptop I ever owned, and I'm hoping my new one will last me another 7 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭fjon

RobTheLad wrote: »
    My 13" MBP with 10th Gen i5 arrived yesterday (i5, 16GB/512 SSD). I was coming from a Late 2013 13" MBP, so a good few differences to my old one. Overall very happy with it, still to fully set everything up, but so far everything is super snappy and responsive. I didn't endure the butterfly keyboard, so probably not noticing as big a change here. The speakers are amazing, can't believe the quality out of something so thin and small. I miss mag safe, but the ability to charge on either side of the laptop negates the main use of magsafe for me. Expensive machine, but after having many Windows machines in the past, my last MBP was the best laptop I ever owned, and I'm hoping my new one will last me another 7 years.

Sounds like a great machine, but that price! Especially at your spec. What was wrong with your old one? I’ve a 2013 myself too and can’t justify the cost as much as I’d like to upgrade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭RobTheLad

fjon wrote: »
    Sounds like a great machine, but that price! Especially at your spec. What was wrong with your old one? I’ve a 2013 myself too and can’t justify the cost as much as I’d like to upgrade

I broke the screen on the old one a few weeks ago, which forced me into upgrading earlier. The old one was still fine for day to day use but the battery was due replacement, and the cost of changing that alongside the screen was outrageous expensive, so I bit the bullet and bought a new one. Plan was to change it next year anyway, but this incident forced me to do this a little earlier than anticipated!

Edit - I did have access to Education pricing through a younger sibling, so it saved me slightly. Otherwise it was in Refurbished 16" territory, which I thought long and hard about, before deciding screen size and portability were very important to me, and stuck with 13".

Advertisement