Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best breed of sheep for outdoor lambing

Options
  • 03-05-2020 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

What would you say is the best ewe and then the best ram for that ewe for outdoor April lambing.

I've heard it said best to use a hill cross of some description is you plan to lamb outdoors. Just interested in people opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭serfspup

type of ewe is probably more important.

what do you expect to do with the lambs? (finish or store)

if u are new to sheep try a Kerry Hill for the first year (very lively and easy lambed) and the ewe lambs could be used as replacements

vendeen or Hampshire are good

NZ Suffolk if u don't use Suffolk ewes.

Charollais & Rouge are easy born but can be bare so would need horned ewes to compensate

traditional Suffolk and texels to be avoided no matter how much spin the breeders put on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭OneMan37

Finish....................I like the Kerryhill but I've heard they are not prolific. Then again I've heard the Cheviot are also not prolific. Which makes me think I'll try the perth Blackface cross with my Texel x Belclare ewes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Cran

Mule and Charollais for me, mules have limitations but good mule is hard beaten outdoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Hilltex ewe charollais ram would suit outdoor april lambing perfectly and leave you with easy finished lanbs off grass. Hilltex ewe longer lasting than mules. If looking till keep replacements maybe llewyn ram would suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Young95

easycare ewes .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

I like the Lleyns. They lamb outside and seem to be very prolific. We have some suffolk x here that just arent as hardy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,980 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

serfspup wrote: »
    traditional Suffolk and texels to be avoided no matter how much spin the breeders put on it.
    Why?
    Lamb outside here (unless heavy snow) with Suffolk & Texel

• Registered Users Posts: 2 eddiecurran95

I have Cheviot ewes crossed with a swale dale ram. Good hardy lambs and easy lambers too.

Why?
    Lamb outside here (unless heavy snow) with Suffolk & Texel

been there done that other breeds so much easier lambed and more get up and suck. wind and rain more of a problem over here

most Suffolk and texel breeders breeding for show ring big heads and bone and don't give a ceasarian a second thought

OneMan37 wrote: »
    Finish....................I like the Kerryhill but I've heard they are not prolific. Then again I've heard the Cheviot are also not prolific. Which makes me think I'll try the perth Blackface cross with my Texel x Belclare ewes.

had kerryX for several years the were great ewes 1.75 year in year out hardly ever had to lamb one. then I got the smart idea that I would get more lambs if I bred lleyn ewes out of them what could possibly go wrong...…….

they didn't have more lambs they had less and the wethers didn't finish as well as the kerryhill.

the lleynX ewes were good mothers etc but were the host devious thieves I ever had any gate or gap they were out whereas the kerrys were wild but actually very easy contained.

that said there are kerryhills and there are goats with spotty faces …..good ones are hard got...

have bred all out to cheviot over the last few years but still trying to get prolificacy back up.

Lairg cheviot very suitable for that system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

had kerryX for several years the were great ewes 1.75 year in year out hardly ever had to lamb one. then I got the smart idea that I would get more lambs if I bred lleyn ewes out of them what could possibly go wrong...…….

the lleynX ewes were good mothers etc but were the host devious thieves I ever had any gate or gap they were out whereas the kerrys were wild but actually very easy contained.

The problem is theres so much variation in the lleyns. Some have cheviot blood in them. The biggest issue o have with them is some excel at showjumping.

The problem is theres so much variation in the lleyns. Some have cheviot blood in them. The biggest issue o have with them is some excel at showjumping.

mine were more into tunnelling out through hedges and under wire, maybe I just expect that from my cheviots but out from a few they tend to stay where they are put.don't know if they would take to paddock grazing that well?

mine were more into tunnelling out through hedges and under wire, maybe I just expect that from my cheviots but out from a few they tend to stay where they are put.don't know if they would take to paddock grazing that well?

In fairness, the lleyns, depending on what type you have, I like the stocky texel type, overall are a good sheep, but you'll always get a few that take to jumping. Once they start they'll never stop, so culling is the way I go. I run them in 5-6 acre paddock rotation. I'm moving away from lleyns though and trying out the easycare, so will see how that pans out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Had the same here with a Lleyn ram, a quite sheep until September, then he would clear a field gate no bother, he got in with a neighbor's ewes early one year and tipped 17 Suffolk's in one night, he was so impressed by how hardy the lambs were he changed to lleyn the following year and is still using them.

don't get me wrong I still like lleyns they are grand to work with and good mothers had them in the early 90's before they became fashionable .their genetic variation is unquestionable and unfortunately it would appear that my sire was not producing very prolific daughters just one of those things....

lleyns crossed with a cheviot, not just devious but fast too, great sport for fido

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Farm365

Would the first cross off a mountain breed such as Mule, Cheviot x Belclare, Cheviot x Lleyn be the best way to go for outside lambing?

Farm365 wrote: »
    Would the first cross off a mountain breed such as Mule, Cheviot x Belclare, Cheviot x Lleyn be the best way to go for outside lambing?

You could use whatever you like, as long as you use a easy lambing sire across them. The easier the better. After that it's just down to your own preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

We have a bunch of misfits here and all lambed outside last year to a romney ram. Not the biggest lamb but definitely done seem to have any problems

• Registered Users Posts: 11 paulll77

tried few myself cheviot fine good wool cover nice lambs harder finished found best mules , but be carefull with ram nothing too soft

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Farm365

Is anyone running Aberfield ewes?

• Advertisement
Advertisement