Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden Office / Car Storage Project (Photos)

Options
  • 03-05-2020 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

Hi there,

I am looking to build a Garden Office / Car Storage to store a classic car, with a small desk to work from too.

I've included a photo (05) of the space below, and i've put a very rough model (01 - 04) together, and lastly a few photos of some inspiration (06 - 09), however some of these are a little OTT :-)

The structure will need to be 7m (l) x 3.2 (w) x 2.5 (h) - the tree will be moved prior to construction (hoping to re-plant but have been advised that it is dying... another conversation).

I fully intend to bring an architect in on this soon, but would like to do some background work first, so I can understand the options, such as the following 3.

01 - Structure Material: what do you think would be the best structural material (Steel, Precast Concrete, Wood, etc)

02 - Roof: what sort of roof material would you recommend?

03 - Glass: one long pane of glass would be too expensive, so what other options... should I be looking at 3-4 sliding panes?

I'm conscious that any mixture of the above variables could cost between €10,000 and €100,000, so would appreciate any advice some might have, before I hire an architect.

Also, please feel free to PM me if you are an architect, or you provide any of the services or materials required for this type of project.

Thanks in advance for your help.

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

05.png

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,447 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Assuming planning is required?

Next question is budget.
    Next question is do you want the car visible from outside (glass box) or hidden out of site (more traditional build with roller shutter/door).

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭oo7

Hi, thanks for the reply.

01 - no planning... I would like it to fall inside the regulations of a garden office

02 - as much glass as possible

03 - it’s a matter of comparing the costs vs options

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

1. you own porsche(s), so it hardly the money that’s putting you off applying for planning? Re finishes: what ever you want, steel and glass seen to be your preference based on images.
    2. Consider overheating. orientation will be important. Will this be moisture controlled? Anything is possible some of those images with all the glass won’t be cheap. Re roof: sloped roof last longest, grassed flat roof lasts second longest.
    3. Hire an arch and Qs. The options you’ve shown are heading for 100k not 10k re: glass panel sizes, depends on spec, 7m long x 2.7 high, maybe 3- 4 fixed sections? Really depends on how deep your pockets are and what aesthetic your after.

Thanks Bryan.

Money / cost / value is very much of importance, for a number of reasons.

I was told planning was not required under certain sizes and conditions, and the conditions are inline with the size I want. I also don't want to make it any bigger than necessary as a neighbour will be able to see it, and I don't want it to be an 'eye sore' for them. I have run my initial plan past them as a matter of courtesy an they have absolutely no problem with it. Plus, my other half will probably make me sleep out there if I make it any bigger.

Yes, I think 3 panes would be the best idea.

Probably best to bring in an architect at this stage.

Thanks again for your help.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2001/si/600/made/en/print#sched2

Size is not the only the condition to build 25m2 exempt garage. Read the attached. Personally if was building something like what you are suggesting in the OP images, I’d seek a planning exemption declaration (section 5).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Orientation to the sun is going to be a key factor , you're not going to want the sun blazing in on your obviously precious car (morea light issue than temperature ,but depending on the direction the window that mightn't be a problem , or you could be able to include a solar Pagoda type structure to block the worst of the sun ,while still allowing in light ,
    The grass roof idea is a good one to limit the buildings impact on neighbours ...(and you ..you're not always going to be inside looking out ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

BryanF wrote: »
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2001/si/600/made/en/print#sched2

Size is not the only the condition to build 25m2 exempt garage. Read the attached. Personally if was building something like what you are suggesting in the OP images, I’d seek a planning exemption declaration (section 5).

Ok, thank you. I don't understand the benefit of seeking planning permission if planning permission is not required?

@Markcheese - thanks, i'l like the idea of the grass roof, however how are they usually maintained?

The external finishes of any garage or other structure constructed, erected or placed to the side of a house, and the roof covering where any such structure has a tiled or slated roof, shall conform with those of the house.

Grand, pitched roof and wall finishes to match the house so

Re green roof research ‘sedum’. Little or no maintenance

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,447 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

oo7 wrote: »
    Ok, thank you. I don't understand the benefit of seeking planning permission if planning permission is not required?

Does a glass box match the finishes of the main dwelling?
    If not, then it’s not planning exempt.

The floor area and height is one of the exemption criteria, do you meet the rest. Remaining back garden area (most likely yes based on image), bit do you have ANY other sheds or out buildings etc?

Thank you all for the help.

The house is the same brick as the brick I have put inside the model, and a significant portion of my house is large glass panes.

I'm very much trying to mimic the style of my house... a must have to get past my other 'half's permission'... never mind planning permission.

There are no other sheds, etc.

@Bryan - thanks, I had a look at sedum roofs. I'll keep that on the list, thank you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement