Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flights booked through Travel Agents: Refunds can be got directly from the airline.

• 03-05-2020 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭

If you have booked flights through a travel agent you should claim a refund under EU261 directly with the airline.
    The system for refunding travel agents has been suspended by the airlines!

This is true even if the flight is part of a package.
    You can claim through www.flightrights.ie for Aer Lingus and Ryanair.

Thanks for this to the excellent podcast on with the excellent Air Passenger Rights Manager,
    Sarah Fischer from the Commission of Aviation Regulation (CAR).
    To refund or not refund? - That is the Question..

https://thetravelexpert.ie/travel-tips/how-to-get-a-refund-if-your-flight-is-cancelled/

I never realised that our old friend EU261 does not recognise travel agents for refund purposes.
    I always wrongly assumed that the contract and refund was only with the travel agent.

EU261 sees the booking as a direct relationship between the customer and the airline.

You will need to produce evidence of the flight and a breakdown of the flight costs.

Travel agents could help the process by getting evidence of the flight costs to customers.

They could also point customer towards flightrights.ie for refunds.

Note this is only for flights, hotels, car hire are a whole different discussion.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

paddy19 wrote: »
    If you have booked flights through a travel agent you should claim a refund under EU261 directly with the airline.
    The system for refunding travel agents has been suspended by the airlines!

This is true even if the flight is part of a package.
    You can claim through www.flightrights.ie for Aer Lingus and Ryanair.

Thanks for this to the excellent podcast on with the excellent Air Passenger Rights Manager,
    Sarah Fischer from the Commission of Aviation Regulation (CAR).
    To refund or not refund? - That is the Question..

https://thetravelexpert.ie/travel-tips/how-to-get-a-refund-if-your-flight-is-cancelled/

I never realised that our old friend EU261 does not recognise travel agents for refund purposes.
    I always wrongly assumed that the contract and refund was only with the travel agent.

EU261 sees the booking as a direct relationship between the customer and the airline.

You will need to produce evidence of the flight and a breakdown of the flight costs.

Travel agents could help the process by getting evidence of the flight costs to customers.

They could also point customer towards flightrights.ie for refunds.

Note this is only for flights, hotels, car hire are a whole different discussion.

Would this work with jetabroad who haven't even contacted me in 5 weeks nevermind refunded me. My flights were for 2nd April. Waiting on €650 per person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭paddy19

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Would this work with jetabroad who haven't even contacted me in 5 weeks never mind refunded me. My flights were for 2nd April. Waiting on €650 per person.

Definitely. Be interested to see how you get on.

You have nothing to loose if you have an airline booking ref and the flights are from Ireland and are with Aer Lingus or Ryanair.

For €1,300 I'd start with www.flightrights.ie and chargeback depending on the bank. They are free.

You can still try the SCC if the flights are with

Jetaboard "Terms and Conditions shall be governed by the laws of the state of New South Wales, Australia.

In fairness to they are right when they say
    "Jetabroad has paid the airline for your tickets and does not have your funds."

In many cases, for the time being, airlines are offering credits for flights and will not process refunds.

Airlines are telling us it will take between 4 and 12 weeks for customers for refunds to be paid, and in some cases longer.

Although it is taking longer than usual for the airlines to pay refunds, we are receiving funds every day as they deal with their own backlogs. We return those funds to our customers as soon as funds are cleared in our bank account."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

paddy19 wrote: »
    Definitely. Be interested to see how you get on.

You have nothing to loose if you have an airline booking ref and the flights are from Ireland and are with Aer Lingus or Ryanair.

For €1,300 I'd start with www.flightrights.ie and chargeback depending on the bank. They are free.

You can still try the SCC if the flights are with

Jetaboard "Terms and Conditions shall be governed by the laws of the state of New South Wales, Australia.

In fairness to they are right when they say
    "Jetabroad has paid the airline for your tickets and does not have your funds."

In many cases, for the time being, airlines are offering credits for flights and will not process refunds.

Airlines are telling us it will take between 4 and 12 weeks for customers for refunds to be paid, and in some cases longer.

Although it is taking longer than usual for the airlines to pay refunds, we are receiving funds every day as they deal with their own backlogs. We return those funds to our customers as soon as funds are cleared in our bank account."

The flights are with Etihad.

Dublin > Abu Dhabi > Singapore

And

Manila > Abu Dhabi > Dublin

I filled the form in anyway. I'll report back

Advertisement