Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s going on with my garden room roof

Options
  • 03-05-2020 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭

Folks I had this built around 2.5 years ago , she’d and home office. Thought this was debris on the roof but looking at it now it’s peeling !

What type of roof do I have and what would they have done wrong that it’s peeling now? I presume with any heavy rain I’m going to have a leak ?

Will get onto the builder tmrw but wanted to see if I can some more info in the mean time

lclFNdx.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Acid in tree debris speeded up the fibre glass u-v break down?

Is that oak or beech trees over head?

Looks like a massive room, is there a good fall on it?

Looks like ponding occurred over winter? Did that unsettle the substrate and cause water to penetrate the roof?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Thanks Bryan

Sorry only half of that computes with me

It’s not as big as it looks maybe 3m deep by 5m wide

Not sure what the trees are they belong to next door but they will have fallen on it and water did appear to pool a little over winter probably caused by the tree fallings

Bit quick for it to fall apart like that though ? No evidence of leaking internally yet

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,447 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Looks to be fibreglass roof.
    If the trees caused it, you could be looking at a legal battle if you want to go that route.
    I don’t think the builder is to blame here as the root cause (pardon the pun) is external to your site, and out of the builders responsibility.

The good news is that the roof can be re-Fibreglass’d quite easily. But at a cost of course.

What kind of cost would I be looking at to refibreglass ? And is there any point in doing that given it doesn’t seem to be the best solution for us? Anything alternative we could do ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

just get in to the builder first before you do anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Fibreglass looks very badly done .the strands are too visible at the front of that picture. Did you get the manufacture’s warranty when it was done ?Provided it was glassed by trained fitters the manufacturers will warranty the roof for up to 20 years depending on which product was used.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭tedimc

OP - how did you get on?

That wouldn’t have been vermin by any chance would it? Or even birds? Have you ever heard scratching in the room?

tedimc wrote: »
    OP - how did you get on?

That wouldn’t have been vermin by any chance would it? Or even birds? Have you ever heard scratching in the room?

Builder is going to take a look when he is back , hopefully 18th

I often hear birds walking across it but I didn’t think they were pecking at it

Advertisement