Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring new alarm siren

Options
  • 02-05-2020 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

My home alarm bell box has only 2 wire 12v feed which sounds the bell on activation. The bell has failed and I've installed a new siren but it will not sound on test.
    I suspect it's something to do with the absence of a tamper circuit and the built in feature of the siren not to activate until the lid tamper switch is closed.
    If my suspicions are correct, how do I fool the tamper to operate or am I missing something else?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

At the very least you will need 3 cores to get an SAB to work .

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

KoolKid wrote: »
    At the very least you will need 3 cores to get an SAB to work .

.....unless it is an Astec system, then it could be just 2 wires. There are still some knocking around :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 LooseNut

Hi Guys,
    Thanks for the replies. Another member PM me and has explained where I'm at. I will have to run a new wire to the new siren but at least I've got the old bell one working with a drop of WD40 on the 2 wires. I should be able to get a new 6-core after Monday.
    For curiosity for it to run on 3 wires, what is required? 12v and ground to activate the siren and what? A constant 12v supply I presume.

Advertisement