Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop morsecode scratching sound

Options
  • 02-05-2020 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭

I have a four year old acer aspire f15, never given any issues, but in recent weeks I have noticed a faint morsecode like sound coming from the back of the device. It's not the speakers. Morsecode or electronic scratching is how best I'd describe it. Laptop works perfectly fine but am concerned it might be the hard drive? I have run basic diagnostics that the laptop does on itself and it indicates no issues. If it is a hard drive problem can I replace the hard drive, obviously it's out of warranty by now. Any help appreciated thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Maybe fan related? worn or dirty they can cause noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

Ger Roe wrote: »
    Maybe fan related? worn or dirty they can cause noise.

Yes the fan had occurred as a potential, hopefully its something simple like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

It could be the fan, but yes it could also be the hard drive. Yes you can replace them, but you'll need to take backup of your files or an image of the entire disk (or both) in case it goes before you can get it repaired. If you know where the fan and the hard disk are located e.g. from a diagram, then you might be able to narrow down the source of the sound.

If you have an SSD, the noise might be legit (https://www.dell.com/support/article/en-ie/sln80281/the-solid-state-drive-ssd-on-my-laptop-makes-a-strange-squeal-buzzing-noise?lang=en).

storker wrote: »
    It could be the fan, but yes it could also be the hard drive. Yes you can replace them, but you'll need to take backup of your files or an image of the entire disk (or both) in case it goes before you can get it repaired. If you know where the fan and the hard disk are located e.g. from a diagram, then you might be able to narrow down the source of the sound.

If you have an SSD, the noise might be legit (https://www.dell.com/support/article/en-ie/sln80281/the-solid-state-drive-ssd-on-my-laptop-makes-a-strange-squeal-buzzing-noise?lang=en).

Hi its definitely a HDD as opposed to SSD but can I replace one type with the other if it is a hard drive issue? SSD are less problematic I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

reg114 wrote: »
    Hi its definitely a HDD as opposed to SSD but can I replace one type with the other if it is a hard drive issue? SSD are less problematic I believe.

You can, just make sure to get one with enough capacity to take all your data and still leave you with enough spare space. Also, if you're not imaging your hard disk you'll need the installation DVD that came with the laptop, and some/many don't come with DVDs now; the recovery data is on a separate partition on the main disk so if you replace the disk you lose that.

I think the first thing to do is get your irreplaceable day backed up onto an external hard disk ASAP. Then talk to someone about getting it looked at when you can.

I work in IT but PC/laptop support isn't really my area, so someone else may have better advice for you.

• Advertisement

storker wrote: »
    You can, just make sure to get one with enough capacity to take all your data and still leave you with enough spare space. Also, if you're not imaging your hard disk you'll need the installation DVD that came with the laptop, and some/many don't come with DVDs now; the recovery data is on a separate partition on the main disk so if you replace the disk you lose that.

I think the first thing to do is get your irreplaceable day backed up onto an external hard disk ASAP. Then talk to someone about getting it looked at when you can.

I work in IT but PC/laptop support isn't really my area, so someone else may have better advice for you.

Yes external hard drive first is the plan, thanks for the advice

Advertisement