Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can emergency door be used as main entrance

Options
  • 01-05-2020 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

Is it legal to use fire exit door as main entrance? to retail outlet, due to Covid19 restrictions?
    Meaning, phase 3... Street level entrance, shutters are in shopping mal, but if opened from street it can operate? So just wonder how legal would it be to use this entrance?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Mod
    I don't think any Fire Officer would allow that

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It would depend on the fire certificate applying to the unit / shopping centre. There are a few criteria to be assessed - use / size of the unit (which affects the likely number of people present), and number / length of escape routes and other things like fire alarms and sprinklers.

Realise that there are two (or more) fire exits currently - the one to the street and the one to the mall. I take it that you intend to keep the one to the mall locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,957 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

mea_k wrote: »
    Is it legal to use fire exit door as main entrance? to retail outlet, due to Covid19 restrictions?
    Meaning, phase 3... Street level entrance, shutters are in shopping mal, but if opened from street it can operate? So just wonder how legal would it be to use this entrance?

The chemist in Citywest shopping centre has been doing this for a while, they always had the emergency exit to the street open they've just closed access from the mall now.

It would depend on the fire cert and how many exits the store needs but the main issue with fire doors is locking them or blocking access not using them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,331 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

But isn't the point about the fire exit that it ought to be an alternative to the usual exit - i.e. there ought always be two routes out of the premises so that if one is blocked the other will be available? Using the fire door for non-fire purposes isn't a problem, but operating a public premises with only one exit may be.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,957 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Peregrinus wrote: »
    But isn't the point about the fire exit that it ought to be an alternative to the usual exit - i.e. there ought always be two routes out of the premises so that if one is blocked the other will be available? Using the fire door for non-fire purposes isn't a problem, but operating a public premises with only one exit may be.

No idea but the shops next to it only have 1 door in and out so a shop can use the fire exit as an entrance. The chemist has been doing it since the lockdown started.

But as I said it'd be down to what the fire cert says.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    No idea but the shops next to it only have 1 door in and out so a shop can use the fire exit as an entrance.
    That may be down to the size and use of the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

There are no laws providing that an emergency exit can not be used as an entrance, so called "protected routes" are only required in very limited circumstances, however changing practices for what you would normally use the door for (i.e if not normally used for entrance) should have a risk assessment done.

One issue I can think of which could potentially arise is that there should be no obstruction so that they can be used at any time without hindrance - could a queue of people outside be considered an issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

i would have thought their regular entrance could now be used as an emergency exit?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,331 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

i would have thought their regular entrance could now be used as an emergency exit?
    If I read OP correctly, regular entrance opens into a shopping mall which is itself closed. So that wouldn't be acceptable as an emergency exit; doesn't provide a route to open space.

(Plus, the shutters/doors that close the regular exit may not meet the requirements for an emergency exit - needs to be capable of being opened immediately by anyone needing to exit through it.

Is the regular entrance fitted with a roller shutter?

Is the regular entrance fitted with a panic bar?

Once onto the mall, where can the escapees go? What does the management company have to say about this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭mea_k

Still no reply from mall or anyone really so wait and see I suppose..
    Shutters are rollers so defenatley cannot be used as emergency exit.
    Secondary emergency exit is for second floor but also can be used as first floor.
    I don't know what is going to happen. When we locked up we had no protective perspex or anything in place to protect staff. Hence swift exit. What a nightmare really, hope we can open soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Victor wrote: »
    It would depend on the fire certificate applying to the unit / shopping centre. There are a few criteria to be assessed - use / size of the unit (which affects the likely number of people present), and number / length of escape routes and other things like fire alarms and sprinklers.

Realise that there are two (or more) fire exits currently - the one to the street and the one to the mall. I take it that you intend to keep the one to the mall locked.

Ah, you’re an expert on fire safety too as well as everything else :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Mod
    Pls be polite here

Yes, I have a qualification where we studied the building regulations, including Part B - Fire Safety https://www.housing.gov.ie/housing/building-standards/building-regulations/building-regulations

Advertisement