Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Alcohol since Covid started

Options
  • 30-04-2020 3:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭

I was never one for drinking at home, saw a share of it in my youth and other friends houses which is something i never wanted my kids to experience.
    The wife doesn't drink bar once a year so Wednesday March 11 was the last day i was in a pub and had a drink, May 11 isn't far away which will make it two full months longer than i can recall ever doing and that included a few lents (40 days and nights!). Most weeks id go out once or twice a week, never saturday night as thats family night, once midweek and sunday afternoon/evening.

Its a bit like the cigarettes i gave up a number of years back , after a while it doesn't overly bother me except now and again it comes into my head but passes quickly enough but i do miss listening to or talking to others . If this goes onto till august or September my body wont know what its like to drink a pint?? Will i bother ??....anyone else similar?

Comments

No, nothing like that for me. Drinking as much if not more since the pubs closed. My preference is for drinking draught in the pub but I also enjoy drinking at home and would always be having a few at home too even when the pubs are open.

To be honest the lockdown would be harder if it wasn't for a good sup of beer to look forward to after working all week. Have had a few great sessions over zoom with friends and family over the past few weekends.

As an aside the "never drinking at home" or "never drinking in front of the kids" are things I never understood, nothing at all wrong with either and missing out on a lot of enjoyment by not drinking at home.

On a similar track, was a regular in the local until the hammer came down. Not fond of a taste at home, witnessed a cousin struggle years ago and learned enough from it. Which means I'm into week six of self-imposed abstinence, should have tried this sooner. After a fortnight the thirst was gone, never felt better. More sleep at night and enough energy to run a marathon. A few extra bob put by. With all these positives, the porter can wait. You're doing the right thing I say, you got this far why not keep it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,871 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

some people dont like drinking at home. My Dad is in his late 60s and hasant drank since the pubs closed. The pub taste is the best for him

Im the oppisote and like drinking at home. Its cheaper and gets you in the mood for the night out

Please chirst the pubs will open soon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I put away 10-12 cans of stout on a Friday night. It’s grand like, but not a patch on getting shït-faced inside in the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Drinking about the same amount now as pre-covid. Would have been a two nights a week out on the town man previous to that...and would have always had a few at home after a night out too ...just to cool down, so-to-speak :-)

There's the obvious differences now ....

I drink alone and smoke all I want.
    I don't get into as many fights. (bumping into furniture excepted)
    The chances of gettin the ride are about the same :rolleyes:
    and it costs a fraction of what it used to ......

but nothing compares to tearing up the town of a weekend with your buddies by your side ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭PommieBast

For me it was more about the routine than the booze. A dozen pints while reading through the latest Private Eye at my local was my usual Sunday evening.

The closure of the pubs coincided with the stress of moving to new accomodation so my consumption initially spiked, but the last two weeks or so my consumption has been at its lowest since that business trip to the Middle East during Ramadan..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Irish pubs have the worst choice of booze ever(beside Guiness) Why would pubs being closed change your consumption?

Nope, OP, I'm a bit like yourself. Never liked having Alcohol at home. I prefer to reserve drinking as a social event.

Don't miss the drinking TBH. Do miss the social aspect of a nice bar though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Been drinking cans of Guinness and few bottles of Corona at home on Friday and Saturday nights.

I like the guinness from a can, put it in freezer for around 45 mins then in the fridge for however long.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I didn't drink anything yesterday. It was lashing out and wasn't up for walking to the offie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

brewed 80 liters of Stout / IPA / Pilsner over the lockdown

IPA is ready to drink, so going to consume my first beer since this lockdown all started. Planning on hammering a good 3-4 litres of beer tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I don't get this stigma about drinking at home. Its grand to go out on a Saturday night "socially" spend a hundred quid, get pissed but if you drink a few cans at home watching the telly, you have a problem?.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Coming up to two weeks since I had a drink. When lockdown started, I had about six cans in the fridge. I would be one for going out at least once a weekend and having a can while watching the telly at night.

My missus is off the drink as part of a diet and I was still recovering from my stag when lockdown started so I wasn't too worried about stocking up at the time. I haven't had much urge to drink since then (just those six cans over the space of seven weeks) and I have no urge whatsoever to get smashed. I prefer to do that with company. Its not the best thing to do on my own and it'd be even worse to do when the only other person there was sober. Lockdown has been stressful enough without having to deal with the fear.

I am looking forward to when I can go out again and I don't think it's something I'll go without even though I know it's not as bad as I thought it would be.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Havn't drunk much at home at all, a couple bottles of beer a week and maybe a bottle of wine with the wife over each weekend.

Really enjoy pints with the lads in a pub around the corner from the office after work on a Friday evening and miss that (zoom isnt the same). Could be 8-10 pints of the black stuff.

It's odd as could buy a dozen beers and they would stay the in the fridge for months - not planned, just the way it works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,811 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I've drank way less, but seem to be having beers spread out over the week, as time and space doesn't seem to mean much any more. It really has made me realise that I'd probably be the richest man in Christendom by now if I never drank, buying food for the week costs not much and apart from the mortgage and bills that's all I'm spending now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,361 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

The last time I had a feed of pints was March 12.

I went out to watch the Liverpool-Athletico game, I knew it was going to be the last football on for the foreseeable future, so I thought I might as well.

Aside from one bottle of Miller, I haven't touched any alcohol since. I can't say I feel any worse off, to be hinest

I've never been a home drinker. To sit down at home with a beer in my hand, on my own feels strange to me.

I love the pub though. Pub pints just taste better, I love having the craic and talking shyte with people. I miss that more than the booze itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

rob316 wrote: »
    I don't get this stigma about drinking at home. Its grand to go out on a Saturday night "socially" spend a hundred quid, get pissed but if you drink a few cans at home watching the telly, you have a problem?.

Agreed. There seems to be an awful stigma around drinking at home, even if its just 2 nights a week.

You're presumed to be on a "slippery slope" and that you have depression

• Registered Users Posts: 13,811 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Arghus wrote: »
    The last time I had a feed of pints was March 12.

I went out to watch the Liverpool-Athletico game, I knew it was going to be the last football on for the foreseeable future, so I thought I might as well.

Aside from one bottle of Miller, I haven't touched any alcohol since. I can't say I feel any worse off, to be hinest

I've never been a home drinker. To sit down at home with a beer in my hand, on my own feels strange to me.

I love the pub though. Pub pints just taste better, I love having the craic and talking shyte with people. I miss that more than the booze itself.

I watched that match in my gfs place and felt really guilty that it was actually happening at the time! Great game though.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭spodoinkle

LuasSimon wrote: »
    I was never one for drinking at home, saw a share of it in my youth and other friends houses which is something i never wanted my kids to experience.
    The wife doesn't drink bar once a year so Wednesday March 11 was the last day i was in a pub and had a drink, May 11 isn't far away which will make it two full months longer than i can recall ever doing and that included a few lents (40 days and nights!). Most weeks id go out once or twice a week, never saturday night as thats family night, once midweek and sunday afternoon/evening.

Its a bit like the cigarettes i gave up a number of years back , after a while it doesn't overly bother me except now and again it comes into my head but passes quickly enough but i do miss listening to or talking to others . If this goes onto till august or September my body wont know what its like to drink a pint?? Will i bother ??....anyone else similar?

I rarely out or drink in the house and I've went through 2 ltrs of Jameson so far and I'm not joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,432 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I watched that match in my gfs place and felt really guilty that it was actually happening at the time! Great game though.

Know which side your bread's buttered now. Great game :(
    As someone who can't really go to pubs in a town ( with door men) because I walk like I'm pissed (6 breathalyser s in 19 months, all 0.0) and living too far to walk, I
    tend to drink solely at home.
    Miss the comarderie of mates in a pub but the days of a couple and driving home are long long gone.
    Cheaper too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭jluv

My friend's husband, 60ish for the past 40 years would be in the pub Friday, Sat and Sunday night, Monday evening fora few for the "cure". Always well oiled leaving the pub. No harm in him just a sloppy drunk.
    Pubs closed so she figured she'd gets few cans in for him. Nope, he has no interest . Hasn't had a drop since. Ane not a bit miserable.
    He'll be thrilled when they do open. We're all shocked at how he's handling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭PoisonIvyBelle

I'd never drink alone at home either, just sociallly the odd time. I'd easily go months without drinking without even taking note of it, so I haven't noticed or missed it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Bought and drank six cans of Heineken. Also had two cans of cider that were in the house. Wouldn’t drink much anyway nowadays but wouldn’t mind a trip to the local, just for a chat with a few guys.Glad I had the option of the few drinks at home though, helps with relaxing at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

jluv wrote: »
    My friend's husband, 60ish for the past 40 years would be in the pub Friday, Sat and Sunday night, Monday evening fora few for the "cure". Always well oiled leaving the pub. No harm in him just a sloppy drunk.
    Pubs closed so she figured she'd gets few cans in for him. Nope, he has no interest . Hasn't had a drop since. Ane not a bit miserable.
    He'll be thrilled when they do open. We're all shocked at how he's handling it.

If he is on the dry it could change him a lot, inevitably will get some benefits if he’s not drinking four nights a week, but it can be a big mental adjustment.
    In my experience a fair amount of heavy drinkers sort of drift away from it with age, this lockdown might hurry a few lads to that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

My dad is the same. He's cocooned and really misses his odd pint in the pub but steadfastly refuses to drink at home. Not just him , I know plenty of people like that. Whatever you feel, really. There's no correct way to drink, or indeed, to drink at all.

I would have never had a drink at home until I had kids about 11 years ago and these days, I enjoy the pub and home equally. Two different experiences. The old adage of tearing into cheap drink at home alone hardly applies across the board these days (although I know it exists obviously), what with the amount of good beer and spirits off sales available, social media, TV etc.

I had a few bottles of good quality beer earlier, chatted on Zoom to a good friend; watched Netflix with my wife and have conversed with quite a few friends and family intermittently on social media and Whatsapp all night. It was actually as social a night as in the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

LuasSimon wrote: »

I'm like the Italians and the Spanish (wife is Italian)....massive quantities of wine in the house....the missus handrolling gnocchi, sipping Montepulciano, bringing me some cheese dunked in Port, having me go on onion chopping patrol, grab my nuts and have me fill her glass again as the ragu is stirring......

Don't drink at home...you maggots.

Come round for dinner.

Advertisement