Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Right to erasure for a child - Clarification sought

Options
  • 30-04-2020 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Im concluding a bit of post grad research and i'm just looking for clarification re: The right to erasure for a photographed child.

If an individual takes a photograph of a child in a public place (I presume they retain the copyright) and shares the image on social media (not for profit, just because say they consider it a nice photograph/or if they know the child and share it with friends) does the child have a right for it to be removed under the 'right to erasure'? Can they request it be removed? If yes, who makes the request, the child or their parent/guardian?

What if the parents of the child share it? does this make a difference.

I am of the thinking that they have no rights as the copyright owner of the image can use and share it as freedom of expression.

Any clarification would be really appreciated on this.
    Thank you

Advertisement