Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Chemical stain on exhaust tip

Options
  • 29-04-2020 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Just wanted to get some advice on something that's annoying me. The exhaust tip on my car is stained, there was some sort of chemical spill by the looks of it and it's left a very unsightly stain that doesn't come off with normal washing and scrubbing. Does anyone know what might be effective on getting this off? I don't do much detailing so it might be something simple and obvious, or it might be to get the thing painted/powdercoated, I've no clue :o

The rest of the car is in great shape but this just lets it down so any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

The cheapest and best way to revive that exhaust tip is to buy the following:

Autosol metal polish
    0000 steel wool
    Tar remover

De-tar it and give it a good scrub with the polish and steel wool. It will bring it up like new and not only will it remove that stain but it will also remove the carbon build up on the lip and even on the iniside.

After you've that done, buff off the polish and give it another blast of tar remover to clean it up. Then seal it with a wax or sealant and it will be good for a few months.

Just looking at those pics makes me wish I could do it myself :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Just looking at those pics makes me wish I could do it myself :pac:

I can drop it round if you like? :p

Thanks for the tips :)

Advertisement