Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you allergic to dustmites?

Options
  • 29-04-2020 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭

Fun facts about dustmites

10 % of the weight of your pillow consists of Dustmites, dead dustimites and dustmites faces

There are 100-500 mites in a typical gram of dust and up to 100,000 in a square meter of carpet.

Their favorite place is your mattress. There are about two million mites crawling around a typical mattress

The allergic reaction happens when you inhale the dustmites fecal matter

Are you allergic to dustmites? 17 votes

No
    94% 16 votes
    Yes
    5% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

Ok....now I need to go burn my bed. Thanks for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,369 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

There goes sleeping for a while.

Where can I buy a new mattress and pillows during the lockdown?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

what doesn't kill us makes us stronger

• Registered Users Posts: 20,895 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yeah I'm allergic to them, or more specifically their feces. Have to wash everything regularly at 60 degrees plus. That kills the little bastard and also denatures their droppings so immune system no longer recognises them. Also you can get anti-dustmite mattress and pillow protectors that help massively.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Nope

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

I used to be until i moved into a house without carpets. Also got an anti-dust mite pillow cover.

I still vaccum my room regularly but also have antihistamines at hand

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Yep allergic to them. Get awful hives and eyes like I’ve been smoking my brains out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,728 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I regularly put my pillow in the drier on high for 15 minutes and cook them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

When you are going to the toilet a spider is watching you. Fun facts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

My daughter has a severe reaction to dust mites, make our lives really challenging. We had a good stock or medical masks before the virus just to protect her which are now coming in handy.

Wood floors and tiles all over the house, we have to dust daily even under beds. After we dust which is usually when she is at school we have to air the house fully. In lockdown we mask her up and send her outside. We have installed a heat recovery ventilation system which is amazing for her as the home constantly circulates fresh air. Any home with a carpet she cannot visit which is unfortunately most her friends, even some family members we cannot visit unless she is in a medical mask.

Holidays can be an issue, we find most hotels will tell you whatever you want to hear so will say they they are tiled or woodfloors but most have carpet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

I usually have a breakout if i try on a piece of clothing that hasn't been worn and has been laying in the closet for a few months

Usually involves sneezing hives and itching, im presuming its dust mites

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

I just give them a regular quick 5-10sec wave of the UV-C (254 nm) wand, that results in zero viability of their eggs ever hatching, followed by the Dyson-esq vacuum in-between.
    Farewell Dusties, godspeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,728 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

krissovo wrote: »
    My daughter has a severe reaction to dust mites, make our lives really challenging. We had a good stock or medical masks before the virus just to protect her which are now coming in handy.

I have mostly given up gluten. As a result, my susceptibility to alergens has reduced by about 80%. When I lapse and have pizza, the dust mite allergy spikes very noticeably within hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭LeYouth

I usually have a breakout if i try on a piece of clothing that hasn't been worn and has been laying in the closet for a few months

Usually involves sneezing hives and itching, im presuming its dust mites

This. Hate the things.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    When you are going to the toilet a spider is watching you. Fun facts

If a spider is watching its ok, if he can smell then I really feel sorry for the little fu¢ker. Even I can't stand the smell

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Am curious OP are you allergic to silverfish/insects etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

What if the poor Dust mites were god fearing and went to mass every Sunday, would you still be so belligerent towards these poor fellows

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Fun facts about dustmites

10 % of the weight of your pillow consists of Dustmites, dead dustimites and dustmites faces

There are 100-500 mites in a typical gram of dust and up to 100,000 in a square meter of carpet.

Their favorite place is your mattress. There are about two million mites crawling around a typical mattress

The allergic reaction happens when you inhale the dustmites fecal matter
    Is that why I wake up with a horn every morning? Little ****ers in my bed "massaging" me in my sleep.

Advertisement