Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cool Projects Thread

Options
  • 28-04-2020 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭

Mod edit: Here is a pretty cool project split out from another thread.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Bruthal wrote: »
    I have a metal shed and its well insulated. A few power tools in it, and ongoing projects worked on out in it, which includes electronics. Never any condensation problem, no active extraction, just open windows if very warm and i am in it.

Ongoing projects? Anything interesting? Please share..... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

2011 wrote: »
    Ongoing projects? Anything interesting? Please share..... :)

Latest is a laser engraver/cutter. If I ever get to finish it:)
    Just a pen taped to the final mirror to test the motion control. Interesting pwm tune out of it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Looks pretty cool!

So when do you fit the lazer?

Stepper motors I presume, what type and voltage?

What microprocessor did you use?

Looks pretty cool!

So when do you fit the lazer?

Stepper motors I presume, what type and voltage?

What microprocessor did you use?
    Laser tube fitting will be a while away yet. Im waiting on panel slotted trunking to rewire the control setup properly, then fit the mirror mounts properly, make up an MDF base for the top of the table frame, then build enclosure. A few things to be done before the laser stage.

Yes 3 nema 17 stepper motors and 2 stepper drivers. The gantry is driven along the Y axis by 2 stepper motors in parallel driven by one driver.

I have a third driver if I decide to power the Z axis (machine internal base up and down)

24v goes from a switch mode supply to the stepper drivers, when then supply the 4 wire bipolar motors. Stepper motors need to have polarity reversed on each step to continue rotating. The stepper drivers have a pin you just pulse to make it step the motor, and o another pin which is either high or low to reverse direction. I had my own microcontroller circuit and simple program running to test the motors and driver just for movement when I first got the motors a while back.

But now I am using a Ruida controller to do the motion control. A second power supply will be added to fire the laser. 30+ kv out of that. It will also be controlled by the ruida controller. So my own cad drawings can be easily transferred to the controller, one of which is seen in the video (clock escape wheel)

Frame is made from aluminium profile I got from rs online, except the gantry and Y axis rails, which I had to order foreign as it has V groove for the carriage rollers.

Have you a data sheet for the laser?

• Advertisement

Have you a data sheet for the laser?

Some info on them here. Probably be a RECI W2 80/100 watt shown on top right
    laser-tube-data_orig.jpg

Bruthal wrote: »
    Some info on them here. Probably be a RECI W2 80/100 watt shown on top right

RECI how appropriate and you are not even a REC :D:D

What is the supply voltage?

RECI how appropriate and you are not even a REC :D:D
    Yes, I wonder will they approve.

What is the supply voltage?
    The laser has the output side of the laser power supply connected to it. For a 90 watt tube, its 24kv to fire it apparently. Reduces down once its going. I probably wont measure that, but will have a 30ma coil ammeter in the high voltage circuit.

So the finished machine will have 2 power supplies, one for the mechanical control with output 24v, other for the laser at 24kv firing voltage. Both powered from 230v socket. Extraction and water cooling needed also. And air blowing through the final mirror laser nozzle.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Bruthal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Bruthal. wrote: »

Very impressive. Out of interest what is the material cost of what you have there.?

• Advertisement

Lenar3556 wrote: »
    Very impressive. Out of interest what is the material cost of what you have there.?

I think it was roughly €2.7k. Its a 90 watt laser
    Most popular size is 40 watt which would be a fair bit less.

Can you build one of these? :D:D
    ....and how many watts do you think it is?

Can you build one of these? :D:D
    ....and how many watts do you think it is?

I could. Not sure what wattage that would be, but I wouldnt fancy the 90 watt anyway:D

Advertisement