Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spider ID please?

Options
  • 28-04-2020 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭

spider-id.jpg

At first I thought it was just another house spider but on closer inspection I thought not.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,637 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i would guess a false widow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Hmm I had though not because of the abdomen not having a distinctive pattern on it. Mind you, you could look at 50 different images of false widows and think they were 50 different species.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Rabbit hutch spider is my guess which is a false widow species

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Borrowed time

Scotty # wrote: »
    Hmm I had though not because of the abdomen not having a distinctive pattern on it. Mind you, you could look at 50 different images of false widows and think they were 50 different species.

Got a bite in the garden last week.Disinfected it immediately.Didnt know what the bite was from but eventually found a spider just like that in the flower bed where I was.Still sore and a mark on my finger the day after and I reckon if didn't clean it straight away it would have been a lot worse.Gloves from now on.

Yikes, I had her wandering around my hand for 5 mins before I putter her back down where she was, wandering around my warehouse. If I see her again I'll put her outside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Borrowed time

Scotty # wrote: »
    Yikes, I had her wandering around my hand for 5 mins before I putter her back down where she was, wandering around my warehouse. If I see her again I'll put her outside.

Apparently they won't nip you but I've even heard off the common garden spider even giving a bite.Not an expert so maybe someone else knows more.All I know is that it was deffo a spider bit me and he rolled himself into a ball afterwards and looked like a plump black currant.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Ulmus

Could be Black lace-weaver spider. https://www.uksafari.com/black_lace_weavers.htm

Hmm, looks very like the third picture down on that page.

The markings on the abdomen are identical. We could have a winner!

From Wikipedia: Amaurobius ferox is a matriphagous spider, meaning that the young devour the mother after hatching. First she lays a second set of eggs on which the newly hatched spiders feed. Then a few days later she actively encourages her offspring to devour her.

Advertisement