Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What bird is this?

Options
  • 28-04-2020 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

The neighbours farm have a few acres of lovely wilderness across the road from us. Every year I hear this bird calling frequently in morning /evening at this time of year. I was hoping it was a Nightjar but comparing my recording to one online it doesn't sound the same. Anybody able to id it for me. Volume needs to be up high,as only recorded from phone.

Bird Call.zip

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Mabel

Definitely not an insect no? If not it sure sounds like a nightjar. You are very lucky if it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Helium

Mabel wrote: »
    Definitely not an insect no? If not it sure sounds like a nightjar. You are very lucky if it is!

No definitely not an insect. Habitat is ideal for an Nightjar so was kinda hoping it was and somebody could verify.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,658 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I'd be pretty confident that its a Grasshopper warbler - I get one on my place in the West every year singing from some Willows in the main ditch

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Helium

Birdnuts wrote: »
    I'd be pretty confident that its a Grasshopper warbler - I get one on my place in the West every year singing from some Willows in the main ditch

Don't know how I missed Grasshopper Warbler but that's what it is alright.
    Thanks for clearing that up for me.Unusual that they still sing well after dark.

Advertisement