Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mysterious Sky Noises.

Options
  • 28-04-2020 2:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭

Over the last few weeks, I've seen a few people on social media freak out about a weird unfamiliar noise overhead. From description it seems like a Skyquake -

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyquake

I saw a few people independently report hearing it yesterday before 7am and again in the last hour. There was a recording being passed around Twitter about two weeks ago. Whatever it is, it's a real thing, it's just that the cause isn't understood. It could just be more noticeable without so many planes overhead.

Anybody heard it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Clouds

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

There is no reason to believe "skyquakes" are related to each other. Sometimes there are loud noises, be it from industrial activity, construction, earthquakes, landslides, whatever, and the further a sound travels the more it becomes distorted and loses sense of directionality. It's not coming from the sky, that's just the conclusion people jump to when they hear a loud noise from a great distance.

So sure, there was a loud sound, it probably wasn't coming from the sky. Did they describe it in any detail? Do you have the link that was doing the rounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Zillah wrote: »
    There is no reason to believe "skyquakes" are related to each other. Sometimes there are loud noises, be it from industrial activity, construction, earthquakes, landslides, whatever, and the further a sound travels the more it becomes distorted and loses sense of directionality. It's not coming from the sky, that's just the conclusion people jump to when they hear a loud noise from a great distance.

So sure, there was a loud sound, it probably wasn't coming from the sky. Did they describe it in any detail? Do you have the link that was doing the rounds?

Looking for the recording now, I can't link to friends' social media but I know there was discussion of similar on Reddit.

I take your point the stuff in the wiki is likely not from the same source, and I want to clarify I don't think it's like... space ghosts, or anything, it's just an interesting but ultimately explicable thing.

Edit - Description of it yesterday morning on Reddit was that it was booming noise loud enough to have woken people up, heard in both Roscommon and Dublin. Description tonight compared it to a steady wind or jet engine sound.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/g9clni/did_anyone_hear_some_weird_sound_from_the_sky_i/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

There is a hell of a lot less traffic on the roads now. And factories are closed. And bars are closed. All this adds up to sounds being heard clearer, especially at night. Before, you wouldn't even notice an artic lorry passing your house but now you'd probably clearly hear someone shouting half a mile away. And a lorry would sound even louder.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Solli

What time? There was a very large plane flying very low circling Limerick- Shannon, most likely large military cargo. The noise was unusually loud. About 11pm approx

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Could be an antonov flying over.

Or a meteor bouncing off the atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,822 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

FanadMan wrote: »
    There is a hell of a lot less traffic on the roads now. And factories are closed. And bars are closed. All this adds up to sounds being heard clearer, especially at night. Before, you wouldn't even notice an artic lorry passing your house but now you'd probably clearly hear someone shouting half a mile away. And a lorry would sound even louder.

Completly... you can hear everything now... it reminds me of when i was a kid and stayed on a farm in a quiet backwater Ballycullane in Wexford, it was so quiet you could hardly sleep and everything especially at night everything soundwise was magnified... the term silence was / is deafening is pretty descriptive...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

nthclare wrote: »
    Could be an antonov flying over.

Or a meteor bouncing off the atmosphere.

I forgot about the Antonovs. Last year I heard a couple of them. They were over 20 miles off-shore from where I live and they were unbelievely loud. Granted, sound travels a lot further over sea but still.

OP, maybe ask in the Aviation threads if there was an An-12 overflying recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I heard loud noises overhead when I was in an underground car park this morning. Spooky.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

Over the last few weeks, I've seen a few people on social media freak out about a weird unfamiliar noise overhead. From description it seems like a Skyquake -

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyquake

I saw a few people independently report hearing it yesterday before 7am and again in the last hour. There was a recording being passed around Twitter about two weeks ago. Whatever it is, it's a real thing, it's just that the cause isn't understood. It could just be more noticeable without so many planes overhead.

Anybody heard it?

Back when I was a child, myself and a friend would be outside the house just hanging around the area from dawn til dusk during the summer, and we would both hear these noises. Some of them were similar to those in the latter part of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FmQz2tXamo

It was always quite apparent during the summer months, late into the bright evenings. No doubt it is something environmental. My own theory is that tectonic plates moving against one another produce low frequency waves, once generated begin phasing in and out get somehow distorted in the atmosphere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 OneMoreBabadee

Heard something like this 3 separate times from 12am-1am last night in Dublin 15. Thought it was a plane or helicopter far away. Or maybe amplified motorway noise from the M50.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

I seen a comment on that link there and someone posted that, historical we don't hear those sounds being mentioned in the past..

I wonder is it a new phenomenon ?

Guard's just settling up a check point down the village...

Yea when I heard those sounds on a you tube video I had a vision of a huge UFO adjusting a door or flaps are something hydraulic lol
    I allow my imagination to flowers

I seen a comment on that link there and someone posted that, historical we don't hear those sounds being mentioned in the past..

Guard's just settling up a check point down the village...

Yea when I heard those sounds on a you tube video I had a vision of a huge UFO adjusting a door or flaps are something hydraulic lol
    I allow my imagination to flowers
    We are so used to the background drone of traffic, aircraft and industry, we don't notice it as much generally.

Now that things are quiet we notice the odd ones we hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

It's the rapture!

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 10,529 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Heard one of those “Antanov” planes, that were mentioned earlier, flying over here last year. Incredible sound.

Someone started a thread about the “strange” noise and another user was able to post a shot of the flight path of the aircraft to prove that’s what it was.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 22,015 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I'm on Virgin myself. :)

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

It’s our generation’s version of moving statues.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Yester

What was that old conspiracy theory where the governments of the world were going to use satellites to create a mass illusion that aliens have landed and thus create global unification. It's probably part of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

It's not, it was a fairly well documented thing among Native Americans and later explorers. Particularly associated Lake Seneca in New York state.

Advertisement