Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Tax Amnesty

Options
  • 27-04-2020 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭

Been seeing on FB alot of people currently not taxing their cars and there might be an amnesty during the current crisis.

Doubt it myself,sounds like sh1te.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

It's just people wishing there was telling themselves there is and hoping it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

FF gonna be back in power so a tax amnesty for criminals would not be unsurprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭talla10

Dont do this. With so many checkpoints now your car will be seized and impounded once tax is expired two months or more.

NCT have been given exemptions Tax wont because its done online

• Registered Users Posts: 16,368 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

People will still use the car for shopping etc, and as said above, renewals are online.

The government has very little coming in, and a lot going out, so they won't want to lose this revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,819 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I love that the government were calling on Health Insurance and Car Insurance companies to issue refunds due to reduced use. Keep paying your Motor Tax in full though, even if you only use it once a week now, and only for an hour or two.

I believe I'm after catching them overcharging the tax on my car anyway. When I was buying it last year, it was a choice between a saloon and coupe. Both have the exact same engine, just a different chassis. The tax on mine is in the 156-170g/km, but on the saloon it's in the 141-155g/km. From all the research, it looks like they've incorrectly taxed it, with a difference of €180 a year. Just have to get the original COCI from the manufacturer (not in Ireland) to prove it, as when I questioned revenue, their answer was basically 'prove it'.

Might be worth checking your own if you're in the Co2 tax band. Someone has been paying €180 extra a year on tax in this car for the last 10 years. With what they do with the RX7/8, it wouldn't surprise me if they made up the numbers on other models. I'd check if you have a non-standard saloon car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I love that the government were calling on Health Insurance and Car Insurance companies to issue refunds due to reduced use. Keep paying your Motor Tax in full though, even if you only use it once a week now, and only for an hour or two.

I believe I'm after catching them overcharging the tax on my car anyway. When I was buying it last year, it was a choice between a saloon and coupe. Both have the exact same engine, just a different chassis. The tax on mine is in the 156-170g/km, but on the saloon it's in the 141-155g/km. From all the research, it looks like they've incorrectly taxed it, with a difference of €180 a year. Just have to get the original COCI from the manufacturer (not in Ireland) to prove it, as when I questioned revenue, their answer was basically 'prove it'.

Might be worth checking your own if you're in the Co2 tax band. Someone has been paying €180 extra a year on tax in this car for the last 10 years. With what they do with the RX7/8, it wouldn't surprise me if they made up the numbers on other models. I'd check if you have a non-standard saloon car.

You realise the manufacturer will have declared the Co2 figure, and even something like a bigger set of wheels from factory will affect the Co2 of a particular car.
    The emissions is not a measure of the tailpipe emissions as such, it’s a measurement of Co2 produced in your car hauling itself around a set route, so a heavier or less aerodynamic body, bigger wheels, etc etc will have a higher Co2 figure.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    You realise the manufacturer will have declared the Co2 figure, and even something like a bigger set of wheels from factory will affect the Co2 of a particular car.

Yup, car still is as was from the factory. Everything I'm reading is putting it at 145g/km, so nowhere near the 157-170. It also took them 3 months to reply with 'prove it', so if they were sure I'd imagine the answer would have been different. I could be wrong, but the car is the exact same way it was when bought (from a local dealer, serviced by local dealer every time, full records, etc). Wheels are factory original. Only thing that has changed are the tyres, but still factory standard size.

It's worth chancing €180 to get the COCI anyway.

If your car is in a higher tax bracket, then it was also in a higher VRT bracket, which should have been noticed by the dealer. Are you saying your car is 10 years old?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

What is "car tax"?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Do you want to take a deep breath, and have a think about what you just wrote?

The reason for the refunds of health insurance, is that the number of claims will be drastically reduced during this crisis, thus insurance companies costs dramatically fall, thus huge profits for them!

On the other hand, the state's costs haven't fallen during this crisis - in fact, it is the opposite and we are going to end up with a massive deficit! It would make no sense to reduce taxes at this time. Be thankful that they aren't increasing the tax (although tax increases are likely by the end of the year).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭bigroad

Do you honesty think car Insurance companies are not going to make it up the next year or the year after.
    They have a free roll in this country.

dotsman wrote: »
    Do you want to take a deep breath, and have a think about what you just wrote?

No, no need to take a breath. I'm happy with what I wrote. I understand what you said, but I still think that's something that should be at least reduced in the interest of fairness. And I've no doubt taxes will go up. As a single male, I look forward to paying a lot and getting nothing in return, as usual.
    What is "car tax"?

It's the colloquial name given to motor tax so that pedants can be triggered.
    If your car is in a higher tax bracket, then it was also in a higher VRT bracket, which should have been noticed by the dealer. Are you saying your car is 10 years old?

Yeah, 10 years old this year, but only got it last year. And I've no faith in the dealer to be honest, they hadn't a clue what I was talking about when I was asking them for the cert to prove Co2, kept telling me to go to the NCT...

Just read the log book, and it has it down at 163, but I genuinely can't find anything even close to that. All in the mid-140's.

I may be wrong, but I think it's worth checking.

Bang me on some reg details by PM, Knowing statistical codes and VRT are some of my useless talents.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭20/20

different chassis. The tax on mine is in the 156-170g/km, but on the saloon it's in the 141-155g/km.

I think I can spot why your tax is higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭SeanW

It's the colloquial name given to motor tax so that pedants can be triggered.
    If you really want to trigger a certain kind of person, call it "Road Tax".

Even though Ireland's Motor Tax regime meets the dictionary definition of a road tax, you can still expect to be "corrected" by some fine upstanding person :rolleyes:
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_tax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Made in China 2040

Been seeing on FB alot of people currently not taxing their cars and there might be an amnesty during the current crisis.

Doubt it myself,sounds like sh1te.

Right there is your answer OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

SeanW wrote: »
    If you really want to trigger a certain kind of person, call it "Road Tax".

Even though Ireland's Motor Tax regime meets the dictionary definition of a road tax, you can still expect to be "corrected" by some fine upstanding person :rolleyes:
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_tax

Well the reason is that the tax has changed from being for upkeep of roads for paying for pollution.

"Road tax" is often used by anti-cycling brigade who think it's unfair that cyclists use the roads as they don't pay "road tax", well motorists don't either and roads are now funded by PPPs for some motorways and general taxation which everyone pays including cyclists.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Well the reason is that the tax has changed from being for upkeep of roads for paying for pollution.

"Road tax" is often used by anti-cycling brigade who think it's unfair that cyclists use the roads as they don't pay "road tax", well motorists don't either and roads are now funded by PPPs for some motorways and general taxation which everyone pays including cyclists.

Yeah but cyclists can’t use the PPP motorways on their bikes.

...which everyone pays including cyclists.

What if they're a cyclist that doesn't work?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

There won't be a motor tax amnesty because even if they wanted to, it cannot be applied equally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

What if they're a cyclist that doesn't work?

Income tax is not the only tax that funds the state you know, they pay VAT on everything they buy, including their bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

What is "car tax"?

It’s just like road tax

• Registered Users Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭SeanW

Yes. Cyclists and Road Tax is the equivalent of feminists and "Ban Bossy". Nevertheless, "Motor" tax is best described by its characteristics as road tax.

You can own all the motors you want, they are not liable for "Motor" tax unless they are use for transport on public roads. That's why it's a road tax. Lawnmowers (even ride-ons), stationary engines, cars that have been declared off-the-road, vehicles only used on racetracks or other private property are not liable for motor tax, because the tax is levied on road usage.

I'm not saying its wrong that cyclist don't pay road usage charges - indeed I for one am fine with it - but that doesn't change the fact that motorists are the only ones taxed specifically on road usage. That's why motorists sometimes use the term "Road tax".
    Yeah but cyclists can’t use the PPP motorways on their bikes.
    Cyclists - even if they do not also drive - use motorways indirectly. Most cargo in Ireland is transported by road and it is in the interests of all of society - not least the recipients of the cargo - that it be delivered over a reliable, high quality road network. If a cyclist ever takes a long distance bus, that bus is likely to use the motorway. Motorways that bypass towns, villages and cities also benefit the inhabitants of those conurbations by removing through traffic from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

SUre that blonde woman who comes on everyday at 11am to update stuff already mentioned motor tax and said it could be done online but that nct were on hold

Income tax is not the only tax that funds the state you know, they pay VAT on everything they buy, including their bike.

But... what if... they're a cyclist that doesn't work and robs everything they consume, and uses the dole money to pay their dealers? Ah ha!

Advertisement