Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building regs for outbuildings?

Options
  • 27-04-2020 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭

I'm trying to find out what building regulations apply to outbuildings? We're in a rural area and have parts of an old building that probably wouldn't be up to standard for commercial or residential, but want to use as the base for shed/storage space. Are there any minimal standards to be met, and for planning if needed (might be as fairly large space) I presume this would be a change of use application, and if so what planning contributions would be due for space of this sort? (contributions would have been paid at the time of the original building). Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,542 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

summereire wrote: »
    I'm trying to find out what building regulations apply to outbuildings? We're in a rural area and have parts of an old building that probably wouldn't be up to standard for commercial or residential, but want to use as the base for shed/storage space. Are there any minimal standards to be met, and for planning if needed (might be as fairly large space) I presume this would be a change of use application, and if so what planning contributions would be due for space of this sort? (contributions would have been paid at the time of the original building). Thanks!

So much confusion in your post. Please simplify.

You have sheds/outbuildings.
    What are they currently classed as? (Sheds/Outbuildings)?
    What do you want to use them for?
    This will determine if Planning or Building Regulations apply to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭summereire

They are currently used as outbuildings, however were originally part of a commercial building. For the most part walls and leantos- basically glorified yard space. We'd like to properly roof and turn the area into a better watertight storage area.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,542 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

summereire wrote: »
    They are currently used as outbuildings, however were originally part of a commercial building. For the most part walls and leantos- basically glorified yard space. We'd like to properly roof and turn the area into a better watertight storage area.

When were they last used as commercial buildings?
    That use may have expired now.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭summereire

They were built a few decades ago, but have been used on and off (without roof) for various purposes since.

What we want to do is roof the area in, which is essentially like yard space at the moment. The question is (a) whether any particular building regs apply to that and (b) whether there are planning/contributions etc for change of use for that?

Everything I look at seems to list residential or commercial as categories but I'm not quite clear what is essentially shed space comes under.

Advertisement