Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bad teeth in Ireland/UK?

Options
  • 27-04-2020 1:19pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

Is the stereotype true? I've been to many places around the world, America, Australia, SA, etc...and I can safely say that the inhabitants of the British Isles have unusually bad teeth.

Most teeth are white but the smile of many people is either "gummy" (too much gum) or "horsie" (too big incisors). I can't count the number of times I've seen a hot bird smile at me in public only to show her fcuked up teeth and have me getting nauseous.

Is it genetic or all the alcohol and coke abuse that Irish men and women subject themselves to?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,501 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

fa0eab6220063061d4c72c0bf409d6ea-771107.jpg?image-profile=card_full&io=landscape

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,293 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Stopped reading at British Isles

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Irish people have pretty good teeth in comparison to the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Even the Ireland/UK in the title, like it’s Ireland/ the rest of the UK.

Come out ye Black and Tans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I always think of British people with good teeth. Americans make fun of them for bad teeth. What gives?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I can't count the number of times I've seen a hot bird smile at me in public

I'm calling shenanigans on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭GBX

People generally have a problem with their teeth when they poke their nose in other peoples business.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭531

It is a geographical term, much like the Irish Sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Is the stereotype true? I've been to many places around the world, America, Australia, SA, etc...and I can safely say that the inhabitants of the British Isles have unusually bad teeth.

I can't count the number of times I've seen a hot bird smile at me in public

This is a puzzle, my answer is no hot bird unless it was a cooked chicken

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,293 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

531 wrote: »

Great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Is there a difference between costs of dental treatment compared to abroad? All things relative obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Most teeth are white but the smile of many people is either "gummy" (too much gum) or "horsie" (too big incisors). I can't count the number of times I've seen a hot bird smile at me in public only to show her fcuked up teeth and have me getting nauseous.

Is it genetic or all the alcohol and coke abuse that Irish men and women subject themselves to?

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

531 wrote: »

You say 'geographical term' like Yahweh wrote it down Day 1 on stone! :D
    What is British about Ireland? Has as much creedence as Irish Isles.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭531

Great.

Muir Éireann, más fearr leat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Hintel

I always think of British people with good teeth. Americans make fun of them for bad teeth. What gives?

They even have an expression in America ,"British Teeth"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

Hintel wrote: »
    They even have an expression in America ,"British Teeth"

It is fine if you have money in the States... for the most part, Yanks have Fake teeth!

The amount of Dentures that are fixed through dental implants is amazing.

Speaking of which, my teeth straightening starts tomorrow, dentist literally just called me that they are open to only a few patients whose treatment was suspended when all this happened. Still a little wary of attending.... but shure what the hell I don't want my crooked smile to last much longer... an old fart getting invisilign....sheeezzz talk about vanity!!!

NSAman wrote: »
    It is fine if you have money in the States... for the most part, Yanks have Fake teeth!

The amount of Dentures that are fixed through dental implants is amazing.

Speaking of which, my teeth straightening starts tomorrow, dentist literally just called me that they are open to only a few patients whose treatment was suspended when all this happened. Still a little wary of attending.... but shure what the hell I don't want my crooked smile to last much longer... an old fart getting invisilign....sheeezzz talk about vanity!!!

What do you mean by the 2nd paragraph

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

Hintel wrote: »
    What do you mean by the 2nd paragraph

Dentures secured by implants?

Many many Americans have dentures which are secured using implants. It's called one day teeth here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBUo7NMdn8I#action=share

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The Stinger,wham,refresher, klipso and big time bars were the source of most over 40's teeth issues today

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

UK has solid free dentistry and the US has absolutely nothing so in reality the trope should be reversed. The poor in the US frequently have awful teeth

What does happen is there is more obsession with cosmetic orthodontics in the US so the middle class with good insurance may have better *looking* teeth there.

• Advertisement

The Stinger,wham,refresher, klipso and big time bars were the source of most over 40's teeth issues today

Ya

I never saw a bit of floss either growing up, get by now though

As Johnny Rotten was fond of saying, the only toothbrush I ever seen was for cleaning my boots

Advertisement