Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planting preparation queries

Options
  • 27-04-2020 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

I Have one plot of ground which is 0.5 Ha and one which is 1 Ha.

The 1 Ha plot is very wet boggy ground with a stream running out of it. Already taken over with gorse, rushes and scrub. I would like to make a pond in the middle of this plot (to pump water from to fields, enhancing biodiversity etc.). It is at a high elevation (200m) and has sitka forestry close by, where deer reside.

The 0.5 Ha plot is full of rushes. It slopes steeply down to a river. Very gravely in some spots and very wet in others.

I want to plant broadleefs in both plots - a mix of willow, ash, and another native tree (maybe oak). Would be nice to have some for firewood in 15 years.

Would there be anything to watch out for with this plan? Like things I should consider when fencing and preparing the land. Does the scrub need to be completely cleared or can I just pop the trees in with those plastic protectors?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

No point sowing Ash due to dieback, Alder will grow well on the land you described, also Birch, Oak will grow well on heavy ground but not if it's waterlogged. What density will you be planting at, if your planting at full commercial density the tubes would be expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Earnshaw

Thanks for that info,

Wondering if i'd manage without the tubes if I just have strong high fencing. Does a fencing contractor have to provide proof of all the costs below. I would rather do this myself than engage a forestry company.

GPC 10 – Native Woodland Establishment

First Grant
    (€/ha)

Second Grant
    (€/ha)

Fencing allocation (IS436)
    140m/ha
    €600

Alternative fencing allocation (non-IS436)100m/ha
    (alder-oak)
    €450

Total Grant available
    (€/ha) 5,880

You can do the work yourself but you will need a forester to do the paperwork. Contact your local Teagasc forestry advisor, they will advise you on what might be suitable to grow, and it's a free service

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Earnshaw

thanks for that. yes teagasc are providing advice too - but i find this site a great resource for picking up valuable bits of information.

I was also wondering if the grants might increase in the next CAP budget - or are the premiums/grants likely to remain similar.

Nobody knows whether grant's will increase or not, but with the amount of money being spent on the Covid crisis, I wouldn't hold much hope for any increases, unless it's one of the Green's policies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Vittu

Few things to think on, deer fencing to surround both plots. How much will fencing grant cover?
    Boggy, gravelly, scruby and steep ground - calculate the actual area where trees could grow. Stocking density will be checked after 4-5 years growing to draw down 2nd portion of grant. Maintenance costs over 4 years, maintenance carried out by who?
    How much will forester charge for paperwork?
    There are lots more costs there and they all add up.

Advertisement