Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelscoil with delayed language

Options
  • 27-04-2020 8:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Anyone ever sent their child to a Gaelscoil if they had delayed language?? My son attending S+L last few years and we are trying to decide if he should go to the Gaelscoil. His 2 older siblings are already there. Really undecided, as his S+L has improved significantly the last 6 months.
    Anyone ever been in this situation???

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

What age will be be starting?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭cb7

What age will be be starting?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

cb7 wrote: »
    Anyone ever sent their child to a Gaelscoil if they had delayed language?? My son attending S+L last few years and we are trying to decide if he should go to the Gaelscoil. His 2 older siblings are already there. Really undecided, as his S+L has improved significantly the last 6 months.

Have you discussed it with the speech therapist? I know there’s certain types of language delay where it’s really advised against for the child to be educated through a language that isn’t their first.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Shybride2016

cb7 wrote: »

Hi there,

I’m a preschool teacher and a lot of our kiddies go on to Gaelscoil. Depending on the type of SLT issue it may or may not be a good idea. Have you discussed it with your son’s SLT for their advice?

We had two kiddies attending our preschool last year and one was advised against it due to their specific speech issues and the other was advised to give it a try and see how they got on.

Also, if you can contact the Gaelscoil you’re thinking of, they may be able to answer any questions you have also.

Best of luck making your decision.

Advertisement