Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling app

Options
  • 26-04-2020 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,102 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Been using Strava but free account doesn't include cureent speed, only average.

Any recommendations for any free apps that give current speed & other decent features? One that has a dood display for use while riding.

Will consider paying for premium Strava but checking what else is out there first.
    Thanks,
    Pa

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

Plenty of speedometer apps, dont use any. Sometimes gps is inaccurate anyway. Save up for a speedometer they are much more accurate. You can get a Garmin edge 520 for a fair price these days.

Personally I pay for strava summit with leftover phone credit not sure if it's worth being billed for.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,102 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Tony04 wrote: »
    Plenty of speedometer apps, dont use any. Sometimes gps is inaccurate anyway. Save up for a speedometer they are much more accurate. You can get a Garmin edge 520 for a fair price these days.

Personally I pay for strava summit with leftover phone credit not sure if it's worth being billed for.

Cheers but the nice thing with an app is having a record of every cycle. Checking kms per week/month etc. I presume a speedometer doesn't sync with a website/app for keeping record of cycles?

Just thought of this now, would be cool & motivate to have an app that compares for a set route cureent trip progress vs previous/best time. Would pay for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

dinneenp wrote: »
    Cheers but the nice thing with an app is having a record of every cycle. Checking kms per week/month etc. I presume a speedometer doesn't sync with a website/app for keeping record of cycles...
    He means that you can use a basic speedo to indicate your current speed while continuing to record the ride on your phone. (Much handier to have a Garmin or similar all the same so no need for two devices).

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

Cheers but the nice thing with an app is having a record of every cycle. Checking kms per week/month etc. I presume a speedometer doesn't sync with a website/app for keeping record of cycles?

Just thought of this now, would be cool & motivate to have an app that compares for a set route cureent trip progress vs previous/best time. Would pay for that.

A basic speedometer will just record speed keep your phone pocketed and record on strava. If you get a garmin it gives you directions shows you your speed and records for strava, but not needed with current restrictions.

Strava is a really good training and motivation tool and there isnt anything like it because of it's segments.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,102 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Tony04 wrote: »
    A basic speedometer will just record speed keep your phone pocketed and record on strava. If you get a garmin it gives you directions shows you your speed and records for strava, but not needed with current restrictions.

Strava is a really good training and motivation tool and there isnt anything like it because of it's segments.

I can see where this is (has) heading. Got back into cycling, bought some clothing, BTW racer next. Thought that'd be it but now a Garmin, was thinking would a new helmet be more aerodynamic, upgrade clothing etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

I believe you could log into strava on a laptop or desktop PC and create your own segment. After you upload your ride you will be informed if you have beaten your previous best time. I've not done this in a while but last time I did it was a free feature.

Personally I don't think GPS speed is bad, it's reasonable accurate it just has a bit of lag. There are many free apps that can give you your current speed using the GPS on your phone.

If you do continue to enjoy cycling a garmin or wahoo bike computer really is a good investment though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

I'd like to stick a recommendation in for "Wahoo Elemnt Bolt" bike computer if you do end up going down that route :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    I'd like to stick a recommendation in for "Wahoo Elemnt Bolt" bike computer if you do end up going down that route :)

Great device but expensive.

I wonder if something like the iGS50e would be good enough for most recreational cyclists?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Lidl/Aldi do solid wireless speedometer for a fiver when they have their cycling specials. Other similar jobs can be got for about 15-20, they'd give current sp, av sp, distance. It's a good one to start with, then if you find you need an upgrade for routing or targeted training, etc you can make that investment later. That combined with a phone in the pocket suits many as you'd be bringing the phone anyway for emergency use.
    I bought a midrange bike computer eventually myself as I like it for navigation and I pair it with a HR monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

Hi,
    Been using Strava but free account doesn't include cureent speed, only average.

Any recommendations for any free apps that give current speed & other decent features? One that has a dood display for use while riding.

Will consider paying for premium Strava but checking what else is out there first.
    Thanks,
    Pa

Have a look at Endomondo, it records your current and avg. speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,284 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'd say lower end bike computers than the bolt or 520 to be honest. Also consider some of the watches that Garmin offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

ALdi will be selling the garmin edge 25 soon enough I'd say, they do it every year. Keep an eye out on the specials and in those glass cases they have in store I've picked up a few over the years and they can be had for €60 usually €89.99 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

I use the best of both - a Bontrager (Trek's accessory brand) Duotrap S sensor for Speed/Cadence (which only fits into a Trek frame, but there is also an Interchange sensor, which fits any chainstay). It transmits Bluetooth and ANT+ to any compatible device.

For current speed, cadence, odometer and more, I have a Bontrager RideTime Elite computer. It also takes feeds from HRMs and Power Meters.
    For long-term ride-recording, the sensor feeds the Cyclemeter app on my phone, which is more stable than Strava's app, but is also set to share each ride to Strava as a double-backup - Cyclemeter also backs up to DropBox (or other cloud services).

I looked at a GPS computer for the bike, but the expense (when I already own a decent smartphone), and the frequent online comments about software crashes, lost ride data, etc meant that this was a better solution for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

FWIW on my cheapo garmin, my main display is set to time elapsed, distance, and elevation. i rarely have my instantaneous speed showing. i think i find it a distraction; as the other three values are cumulative, they don't need or grab your attention so much.

Advertisement