Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career Break/Employment issue during pandemic

Options
  • 26-04-2020 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone is in a similar position. I started a career break a few months ago for the purposes of travel. Obviously that has all been scuppered with the pandemic and I returned home several months earlier than intended.

I tried to cancel the break to return to work early but my employer says it can't be done.

I'm not entitled to the Covid payment and I doubt I'll be permitted to claim Jobseekers Benefit since those on career breaks are usually considered not to be unemployed.

Is there anyone in a similar boat right now? The savings I had put aside for travel would have lasted me for much longer abroad than they will at home, and I had to spend a large chunk of it on the flights home.

I'm applying for temporary jobs in the meantime, anywhere that's hiring, but I'm growing concerned that with the limited amount of places hiring, and the amount of people who lost their jobs on the hunt too, I'll be unlikely to land a job anytime soon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭maneno

De Danann wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone is in a similar position. I started a career break a few months ago for the purposes of travel. Obviously that has all been scuppered with the pandemic and I returned home several months earlier than intended.

I tried to cancel the break to return to work early but my employer says it can't be done.

I'm not entitled to the Covid payment and I doubt I'll be permitted to claim Jobseekers Benefit since those on career breaks are usually considered not to be unemployed.

Is there anyone in a similar boat right now? The savings I had put aside for travel would have lasted me for much longer abroad than they will at home, and I had to spend a large chunk of it on the flights home.

I'm applying for temporary jobs in the meantime, anywhere that's hiring, but I'm growing concerned that with the limited amount of places hiring, and the amount of people who lost their jobs on the hunt too, I'll be unlikely to land a job anytime soon.

Unfortunately your employer is not obliged to facilitate you if you want to break the career break early, have you read your contract or employee booklet to see if you are allowed to work as some companies don’t allow is especially in related fields. It’s an unfortunate position to be in, hopefully you find a solution

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭De Danann

maneno wrote: »
    Unfortunately your employer is not obliged to facilitate you if you want to break the career break early, have you read your contract or employee booklet to see if you are allowed to work as some companies don’t allow is especially in related fields. It’s an unfortunate position to be in, hopefully you find a solution

Hi, I'm aware they don't have to facilitate an early return, I was chancing my arm with them due to the circumstances. I even applied to be redeployed on the front line services as I know they are desperate for staff, however as they can't cut short the career break then they can't redeploy me.

I am permitted to work as long as it doesn't have a clash of interests with my current role. If I land a job I have to send the details of same to HR for them to confirm its OK.

I'm not complaining that my employer can't facilitate me coming back early, I'm more looking for people in a similar position to me to talk to about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Shane Fitz

I even applied to be redeployed on the front line services as I know they are desperate for staff, however as they can't cut short the career break then they can't redeploy me.

Are you public sector?

Shane Fitz wrote: »
    Are you public sector?

Yes Civil Service

Yes Civil Service

There is scope to cancel your career break. Leave cancellation surely?

• Advertisement

There is scope to cancel your career break. Leave cancellation surely?

I requested it the minute I returned home, HR says early return cannot be facilitated and so they have refused my request.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭ttsnar

I would go further with this with your employer. They are leaving people cancel term time and other leave. This pandemic allows for rules to be changed as people are caught in circumstances they would never have expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Covidhaveago

ttsnar wrote: »
    I would go further with this with your employer. They are leaving people cancel term time and other leave. This pandemic allows for rules to be changed as people are caught in circumstances they would never have expected.

Nor that simple if its CS, the employer may have seconded someone into OPs role for the duration of the career break.

Nor that simple if its CS, the employer may have seconded someone into OPs role for the duration of the career break.

Relevant to be sure, but would depend on the duration of the proposed career break. There are potential pay bill costs. But as mentioned above, all the normal rules are open to change.. a little bit of flexibility is warranted.
    Has your post been filed temporarily do you know OP?

Relevant to be sure, but would depend on the duration of the proposed career break. There are potential pay bill costs. But as mentioned above, all the normal rules are open to change.. a little bit of flexibility is warranted.
    Has your post been filed temporarily do you know OP?

My post has been filled permanently, a colleague got a promotion just before I left and stepped into my post. I knew that when I returned I'd be allocated a new office/department on availability of vacancy.

I would have thought I could fill one of the front line positions to save other staff being redeployed but I think it's too much hassle for HR to arrange, especially as many are now working from home.

I currently have 4 months left in the career break. I know usually even if you have hardship, you can only ever reduce your agreed career break down to six months duration so that's likely another valid reason my early return was rejected.

• Advertisement

My post has been filled permanently, a colleague got a promotion just before I left and stepped into my post. I knew that when I returned I'd be allocated a new office/department on availability of vacancy.

I would have thought I could fill one of the front line positions to save other staff being redeployed but I think it's too much hassle for HR to arrange, especially as many are now working from home.

I currently have 4 months left in the career break. I know usually even if you have hardship, you can only ever reduce your agreed career break down to six months duration so that's likely another valid reason my early return was rejected.

So short answer is... there is no post to return to.

So short answer is... there is no post to return to.

Pretty much yeah. But as I said, I accepted the fact that I can't return right now when my HR told me it wasn't possible.

I'm just looking for anybody in a similar situation (not eligible for benefits and not in paid employment) to talk to. I can't be the only one stuck in such an awkward situation, it'd be nice to hear from others.

Advertisement