Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adverts.ie safety

Options
  • 26-04-2020 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Just wondering if anyone here has ever had bad experiences with buying articles on adverts.ie.. Just concerned about paying full amount in advance, can only do this by bank transfer at present. I realize that research done on previous sales, feedback from other buyers etc are used but to give indication of previous buyers experience.
    TIA.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

wally9 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone here has ever had bad experiences with buying articles on adverts.ie.. Just concerned about paying full amount in advance, can only do this by bank transfer at present. I realize that research done on previous sales, feedback from other buyers etc are used but to give indication of previous buyers experience.
    TIA.

Why not pay via PayPal?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

wally9 wrote: »
    TIA.

Why are you paying in advance? Do Not!! under any circumstances pay by bank transfer to anyone. There was a guy on there a few years back that ripped off a load of people selling an iphone bank transfer only. I think the Gardai caught him, it was in Wexford or Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭gizabeer

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Why are you paying in advance? Do Not!! under any circumstances pay by bank transfer to anyone. There was a guy on there a few years back that ripped off a load of people selling an iphone bank transfer only. I think the Gardai caught him, it was in Wexford or Waterford.

No one is going to send anything without payment first , just make sure they have lots of excellent feedback and use Paypal , Don't Ever pay by bank transfer .

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

I only buy on Adverts if I can meet up with the seller, see the goods, check them and then part with the cash. However if you really want to go down the pay sight unseen route use Paypal as has already been mentioned. With paypal you have some protection if anything goes wrong, Paypal will fight your case and sometimes refund your money. Also I would use a Credit Card on Paypal rather than my bank account as your credit card also gives you some protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

gizabeer wrote: »
    No one is going to send anything without payment first , just make sure they have lots of excellent feedback and use Paypal , Don't Ever pay by bank transfer .

Fair enough but if it's of significant value I wouldn't dream of sending money to someone and asking for it through a bank transfer just sets alarm bells ringing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,138 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Don't use PayPal gift/family option when paying. Sellers often ask for this to avoid fees for them, but you have no comeback afaik

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 37 wally9

Many thanks for all your valuable advice, much appreciated.

Advertisement