Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Boards.ie had any positives/negatives for you?

Options
  • 25-04-2020 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,322 ✭✭✭✭

The minor one's would be I probably got some bargains from seeing them in Bargain Alerts and it gave me something to do also when I had nothing to do.
    Another is it made me a relax about things. I might have got a little worked up over things a few years ago and mainly from seeing others get outraged over minor things it made me snap out of it.
    Negatives would be I probably wasted to much time on here at times.

Has Boards.ie had any positives/negatives for you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Have made a few decent friends on here and am an expert on the weather thanks to MT Cranium's posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

When things were fairly grim on a personal level a while back it was almost a social lifeline. Took my mind off things and helped keep me sane, even got the brain matter working again and lots of healthy debate helped, maybe got a bit too into some debates but there ya go :D

We can knock it all we want but it's very Irish centric in a way reddit can never really be.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,946 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Bargain alerts has been great, got some brilliant bargains. Bargains alerts has been terrible, got some old sh*t I never needed or thought I wanted (at a cheaper price).

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Bargain alerts has been great, got some brilliant bargains. Bargains alerts has been terrible, got some old sh*t I never needed or thought I wanted (at a cheaper price).

Couldn't agree more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

its fine but the moderators need lighten up a bit...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Haha the negative one I have would absolutely blow your mind but I could be risking the same thing happening again if I detailed it. Have to say, the moderators really did me a favour. Sound skins.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Bargain Alerts has cost me a fortune, but I have so much more cool stuff now along with even more tat that I never needed or ever will ;)

At the lowest point in my life, boards , the P.I forum and in particular the then brand new bereavement sub forum helped me keep a hold on my sanity.
    Had a lot of support from there.

Other forums such as watches and timepieces, crypto and others have all sparked and renewed interests across many fields.

Watches and timepieces is no place for the faint hearted tho, that's a corner of boards that'll lead to bankruptcy :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Boards taught me how to use apostrophe's properly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Boards is a great source of information and has helped me out of a pickle a few times especially the Car DIY / Boating forum. AH is a bit of craic too and have had a few good laughs from it. Went to a good few boards beers in the pre-creep days.

The bad is there's a good bit of fearmongering that goes on in certain forums mostly by armchair know-it-alls who can't stand to see someone else getting a job done and there's other sh1tehawks around too but once you learn to identify and ignore those you're away for slates really. Cant say I have any life long friends I met through boards but did chat to some nice people on here from time to time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,260 ✭✭✭This is it

Very few negatives to be honest. While I've very little contact with them now, sure life moves on, I made a lot of friends through boards over the years. One in particular that could never possibly know how grateful I am for how they helped me.

Plenty of nights out, boards beers, a trip abroad to stay with a boardsie I'd never met :D and lots more.

I've learnt so much from reading various forums/threads. So many knowledgeable posters. Plenty of gobshytes too obviously :)

Saw behind the scenes and the difficulties mods, cmods and admin face. A positive and negative!

All in all, very positive. I've learnt to walk away rather than kick up much of a fuss anymore. It rarely does any good, so any negative is quickly forgotten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

s1ippy wrote: »
    Haha the negative one I have would absolutely blow your mind but I could be risking the same thing happening again if I detailed it. Have to say, the moderators really did me a favour. Sound skins.

Maybe that's making my point. they are not there to do favors their job is to be fair.
    Sound skins, you must know them personally as i would only say that of people i know, saying that i expect they good people.

I am not being negative at all, if someone creates a post i will give my honest view, i expect this this is what is to happen here.
    If we all "yes men" it be closed in a week...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Met some decent folks thanks to Boards.
    Got some sound advice about cars.
    A while back when I couldn’t take Facebook anymore I just came back to Boards, and it felt nice and cosy.

On the other hand, there are just so many topics on Boards I do not give a monkey’s about, I wish I could just not see them at all. But it’s good that people are talking.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Positives - the wherers thread, the humour in after hours, the knowledge in a lot of forums I read for information but wouldn't have anything useful to contribute to.

Negative - a little bit of leeway would be nice in some threads. Real life is not a sanitised, PC haven and some people enjoy darker humour and humorous insults.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,919 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

ive done quite a few works trips alone and boards has been great at being a boredom killer, at airports with 3 hours to kill, at remote enough airport hotels at bars just killing time and not knowing the local lingo... it’s been a great resource for staying connected. Making cabin fever less terminal.

What does boards do for us, give us...? It’s fun, entertaining, it’s educational and informative , it’s combative sometimes, a great bordom killer, it’s social it’s lovely.

negative, you find negativity everywhere if you look hard enough, I’d change who know... it’s not perfect, be boring if it was, it’s pretty fûcking great though..

Boards tends to have posters supporting every angle of an issue usually with the need to provide supporting information. That's useful because it provides alternative sources than the mainstream media which can often be very biased, or lazy fact-checking their own sources. Unfortunately boards, and the internet have evolved to encourage trollish behavior, or virtue signalling, so boards isn't quite as useful as it used to be. Still useful but iffy on a lot of subjects.

When I first started using boards, it was a wonderful place to develop the use of logical/rational thinking in discussions. There used to be more emphasis on proving your opinions to be true, rather than the "take or or leave it" attitude that is more common nowadays. So, for me, boards was a teacher to help me develop rational thinking, a place to learn patience with people seeking to get a rise out of me, and I also learned to type really fast (long posts being more common previously).

Overall, Boards taught me to argue in a logical manner without getting annoyed with every retarded objection from the wings.

Other positives. I like many of the mods, like Wibbs. Just incredibly good posters in themselves. A joy to read their posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

In a bad way it's made my thinking too nuanced. I notice myself second guessing myself more because I'm aware that there are always two or more sides to an argument. This is good in isolation but I don't have the on the quick thinking to be able to incorporate this into everyday life and I just end up overwhelmed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭LeYouth

Positives - lots of good threads

Negatives - the website is a bit slow!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Maybe that's making my point. they are not there to do favors their job is to be fair.
    Sound skins, you must know them personally as i would only say that of people i know, saying that i expect they good people.

I am not being negative at all, if someone creates a post i will give my honest view, i expect this this is what is to happen here.
    If we all "yes men" it be closed in a week...
    Nah I had to email them about somebody on the board from real life who was threatening me and they helped me out. Probably quite time consuming, hence why I say sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Positive, I feel I've become a lot more liberal as a result of discussions on boards.

Negative, bullies. I really don't understand how someone can take a dislike to someone they'll probably never know or meet and set about a campaign of bullying, its a bit weird tbh.

Other than that this is just somewhere to shoot the breeze. I think I've only gotten to know one boardsie through using the site, JupiterKid.. What you see of him here is pretty much what you find IRL (I hope I'm the same).

But I'll be perfectly honest too, if boards.ie was to disappear tomorrow I wouldn't miss it for a second.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭DopeTech

I joined originally back in 2007 when I was 17, I've always enjoyed the Bargain alerts and tech forums but overall I think it was was just a nice place to spend some time and switch off for a while. Plenty of like minded people and interesting posts over the years. You really realise that we're all in the same boat and everyone is as insecure as the next person.

I think it's got gradually quieter over the years but I still check in on it. Always something of interest being discussed.

I think I got most out of the satellite and terrestrial forums over the years. It was fun playing around with different linux boxes and sharing downloads etc.

BA has also got me a good few deals over the years. It seems to have almost died off now though with the same few threads being updated but little in the way of great new bargains. Nothing on the same level as before anyway. I use HUKD first now before BA.

No negatives from me. It's changed over time but that's life. Everything has a shelf life. The younger folk will move onto something else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Fantastic website. I've been on it since 2004. Naturally there has been some bad moments (mostly football forum related) but I get knowledge about various topics such as entertainment, weather, sport, jobs, property, work and even viruses

Now fix that 20 year old thread bug!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,568 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Only positives really.
    I have burst out laughing at some posts, which brightens up every day.
    Learnt a few new words.
    Found solace with posters who agree/ going through the same thing as me.
    The only negative really was a poster laughing at my spelling .;(
    Even that had a good effect as I finally got reading glasses which I badly needed !
    I thought I was over using boards but in 10 years I've 4k posts, while some have double that in months.
    Anyway ,I don't pay attention to some random poster on the internet, if they don't agree with me
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,568 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

And I use too many !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

It does shock me to see the amount of time some people spend on here. Some have thousands of posts in less than a year or two.

Imagine where they would be if they directed that level of commitment into something actually worthwhile and productive, rather than wasting it on an Internet forum where people don't care nearly as much about your opinion as you think*.

*Don't worry, the irony is not lost on me.

positives: Online equivalent of how people hehave towards strangers . This is a learning experience. Yes, EastEnders is not that far removed from reality.

negatives: Many Talk to forums have folded. a lot more one liner posts than there used to. Doesn't say much for the poster. some really good boardsies / mods have closed accounts for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

I have been on and off boards since the early 2000s, leave it for a while forget my name and rejoin. So back again for the last while and have to say I finally ventured into Forum Games and Werewolf which are brilliant, and everyone I have come across there have been so welcoming.

I love the variety of topics and variety of interests that people have, after hours can be fun,sarcastic, zany and humourous. I enjoy reading lots of different sections, and some are very niche, as you can learn from people on here and go looking for more info elsewhere.

Negatives, for the most part I find Boards to be a great site, but sometimes there are threads left to run which are mildy disguised bashing against certain sectors of employment and that should have a closer eye on it, .and some threads update so quickly hard to keep up as you have to update thread to see latest thread but it is a minor negative. Otherwise it is an enjoyable site

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I started a business through here so there’s that. I find forums like PI have given me a good perspective on life and helped sharpen my understanding of the world, even if it’s through helping others and being able to work out stuff by putting it to paper to explain to someone else. I’ll do that for multiple things, so I’d produce podcasts and other stuff and debating things with others really helps me figure out how I feel in-depth about certain topics. Plus it’s awesome for killing time when I should be more productive.

The downsides are accumulating more lately unfortunately. When I was young and, I think, so were the majority of others on boards because the Internet was relatively new to most, this was a great progressive spot to get a sense of sanity. But as the forum has aged and not replenished with younger voices, unfortunately that’s been lost and replaced by a largely crotchety generation of ageing people. So every discussion becomes a gender war, casual sexism/racist is rampant and a lot of people have no interest in challenging their own perspective and just want to find things which reinforce their depressing world view. Boards to me has essentially turned from a positive, intelligent college kid into a bitter, angry auld lad sitting at the bar all day giving out that you can’t say anything anymore while being more concerned with looking into a pint than a mirror. Twitter is an over-correction too far in the other direction. So I find these days my online social experience is a case of trying to keep what I like from both while constantly ducking and dodging and avoiding preachy, idealistic college kids on one side and drunken angry taxi drivers on the other.

TLDR; the joys of your early 30’s...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

There has been some very funny threads about one night stands and golfing trips in Portugal that were entertaining to read. The threads on dating have been a real eye opener too. Sadly there are a lot of posters that take it way too seriously. The back and forth arguing with multi quoting is exhausting.

I love Boards. Years ago when I was a lurker I felt a bit differently towards it. I remember telling a good friend that it seemed like a way for people to switch off from the world and not engage with others. Today I still believe for a few it can cause this state of mind and be an unhealthy place for them. There is no replacing human to human interaction. However my mind has been opened to Boards as a lifeline to so many. The kindness that I've seen shown on here and the sense of community is really lovely.

I have had my share of dark days and this place, AH and Forum Games in particular have been an amazing help. Loneliness is a terrible thing but thanks to Boards I've made great friends and even had the odd romantic entanglement :p

The negative isn't really a negative at all because it's my own doing. I find myself at times getting irritated by the most inoffensive and seemingly decent posters. Haven't a clue what it is about them. I get all riled up inside and want to say "I don't give a fùck about your x y and z". I don't of course so I just avoid those threads now.
    It is a good example of "it isn't you it's me". And Jesus I know I'm certainly not everyone's cup or tea or coffee or whatever you like.

Oh and @Makikomi, I too have met JupiterKid and can attest to what you say. He is a sound auld skin :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

. He is a sound auld skin :)

Any other boardies that you've that are sound auld skins hmmm ?

:-P

Advertisement