Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

G-shock

• 25-04-2020 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi ,

Could anyone on here recommend a g-shock watch for ruffle 300euro , looking for a more rugged style watch .

Or if there is any other brands i should be looking out for.

Thanks a mill

Comments

The GW9400 probably has the best feature set at that price point, perhaps the best full stop. It's ugly but I love mine for a beater.

I especially like the one touch stopwatch, the illumination, the ease of pressing the buttons the fact that it shows the time on each screen.

If you want a classic style check out GW6900, or 5000 series. Less bells and whistles, buttons harder to press (especially the 5000) but still great watches. GW6900 would be half your budget roughly. There will be 5000 series watches for around 100 euros on amazon (DW 5010). A GW5000 would be in or around your budget. I have one and love it but can't justify the increase vs a straight DW5010.

(GW means the watch updates it's accuracy from an atomic clock signal. Those watches come without that feature as "G" watches or "DW" watches)

Everyone has a favourite G though. If you are not looking for a particular feature, just pick the one you like the look of most.

If you want a particular feature or combination of features feel free to describe and I will do my best to suggest options. Sometimes the lack of a function or limitations on a function can be annoying. For example, many watches lack a countdown timer or have one limited to 60 minutes. Others have a stopwatch limited to 60 minutes or whatever. Very few display "time in all modes" if you know what I mean. This is why the 9400 is such a good watch - it basically avoids all of those flaws.

I went down the G shock rabbit hole a few years ago and was fortunate to emerge relatively unscathed...

What do you like looks wise? Digital? Analog? Do you want something huge or more reasonably sized ?
    https://www.watchshop.com/casio-g-shock-watches.html?orderBy=pricehigh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

€300 will get you a lot of styles of g-shock. Half that will. At 300 you should be looking at what features or sensors you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

20200429-173501.jpg

I love this watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I've a GA110, black with negative display. Love the looks, very functional watch too, but the light and the negative display are both poor.

You'll get plenty of G-Shock for €300 as has been said. Have a look on Amazon, maybe setup some price alerts if you fancy it. The prices fluctuate a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Yeah, I had a pure digital in negative display, definitely would not get negative display again

Negative displays can be a cool look and in the right light the digits can really pop. But there's no getting around it - on average visibility is worse. Definitely try before you buy.

The majority of G-Shocks nowadays are negative so presumably they sell better. I've seen people mod from negative to positive and vice versa. It's done by replacing the polarizer with one turned 90 deg.

I don't mind negative if it's just a little date window like on the GA-2100.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭pm.

Thats my G-shock collection ( I know one is a pro trek) the one on the left is the most expensive, they imo are a must in any watch collection and will take a beating without the worry of breaking them

^ great MTG.

Advertisement