Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HAP and rent contributions

Options
  • 24-04-2020 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have been looking for an accommodation to rent just for myself since October.
    I was just on my Income protection, I was accepted on Hap in December.
    When I finally found a place suitable, Hap said that it wasn't affordable for me (I had to pay 500 euro from my side, I was told I cannot pay more than a third of my salary). So I started my search again based on this last information, though nothing has been found.
    Recently, I have been approved for Invalidity pension. I immediately contacted Hap in relation to my change of income. I have been waiting for them to let me know how much I would be entitled for contribution towards my rent.
    I have been waiting for more than three weeks now and I am stuck. I am aware that properties are not shown due to the lockdown, but I was hoping to contact some advertizers and be ready to see the accommodations as soon as lockdown is over.
    Has anybody ever come across a similar situation?
    Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭lughildanach

Good luck with the property search. Hopefully you should be able to find a more affordable property, as prices have dipped in some areas.

If you still have the problem with affordability, then you should note that the 30% rule is not set in stone. Some councils do allow you to go over the 30% along with a warning about the affordability to make sure you understand the implications.

The legislation does not mention anything about 30% and there is discretion for a council to allow you the property, even if above this limit. You can appeal the refusal, or seek legal advice if the appeal is unsuccessful.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Shinsen

Good luck with the property search. Hopefully you should be able to find a more affordable property, as prices have dipped in some areas.

If you still have the problem with affordability, then you should note that the 30% rule is not set in stone. Some councils do allow you to go over the 30% along with a warning about the affordability to make sure you understand the implications.

The legislation does not mention anything about 30% and there is discretion for a council to allow you the property, even if above this limit. You can appeal the refusal, or seek legal advice if the appeal is unsuccessful.

Thank you for your message.
    So complicated :( I'll never understand how it works...

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭lughildanach

Shinsen wrote: »
    Thank you for your message.
    So complicated :( I'll never understand how it works...

Seek professional help. Citizens Information or Threshold should be able to advise you.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Shinsen

Seek professional help. Citizens Information or Threshold should be able to advise you.

Thank you.

Advertisement