Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly fishing rigs in details

Options
  • 24-04-2020 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi guys,
    I am new to fly fishing with very basic knowledge, and after few days of researching it's still not clear to me which lines/leaders/tippets/flies to combine for best casting depending of rig type/water conditions.

So maybe someone can share some basic scheme, for example like this:

Small river dry flies size 12-22 / floating line / 5x nylon floating leader / 5x or 7x tippet
    Bigger river nymphs size 12 bla bla / intermediate line / 5x fluorocarbon leader / 5x fluorocarbon tippet.

Then Big river dries, big river nymphs, lake flies, nymphs.
    Its all confusing for the beginners.
    I know that you chose tippet depending of fly size, 12+ fly size = 4x tippet, 15+ fly size 5x tippet and so on.
    But someone also told me that 5x tippet which is 15+ fly size flies is too thick and trout will see it in calm waters. So should I use 6x or even 7x tippet? How 7x tippet will work? Will it brake a lot and stuff?
    Also is it necessary to use fluorocarbon for nymphs as it sinks and nylon for dries? Or fluorocarbon can work both ways and its better because its invisible.
    When leader has to be sinking or floating, or should it be sinking at all?
    So many questions, but hope it helps others too.
    I know it all comes with time and experience by meeting other fly fishers on local spots, but as we all locked down now would be nice to get that useful info.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

I've always thought if you can see the tippet so can the trout and I just adjust accordingly
    floating tippet in particular on a calm day in a clear lake

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

Forget about all this talk of different tippets for different flies and different type of fly line. You are over complicating things.

More important is that you use the appropriate fly line and the length of the leader. It is this that will determine how light a tippet you can use and how you fly is presented.

These link should demystify the fly line codes for you, and help explain what they are used for
    https://www.bigskyfishing.com/fly-fishing-articles/fly-lines-guide4.php

Generally the heavier the fly line the further you can cast. A 7 weight line will cast further than a 5 weight line.
    A heavier line is more likely to spook the fish than a light weight line. Generally you use the lightest line you are comfortable with for a given situation. For beginners its easier for them to cast with a slightly heavier line.

So if you were fishing a small stream where you wouldn't be casting more than 20 feet a 5 weight line would be more appropriate. you dont need distance you need accuracy and a line that fall more delicately so that fish are not spooked.
    If you were on a lake or large river a heavier line (7 weight or higher) is more suitable to allow longer casts and a heavier line will help counter-act any wind.

Length of Leader is also important. The longer the leader the better as it allows a more delicate cast which is less likely to spook the fish, but it also requires more skill. Too long and it will simply collapse in a heap on the water.
    What you are looking for in a leader is that it provide a gradual transition from the thickness of the the fly line to the thickness of you tippet.
    This allows the line to unfurl smoothly as you cast so that your fly doesnt drop like a brick on the water and also helps prevent getting the line tangled with a bad cast.

Finally the tippet. Personalty I only use fluorocarbon tippets, they are less likely to be seen by fish but they are more likely to sink quicker so be sure to dress your fly with a floatant if fishing dry flies.

My advice for what it is worth, is invest in two or three reels. Load one reel with a 5 weight floating double taper for small streams, a 7 weight floating double taper for bigger streams and rivers, and finally a 7 weight floating weight forward line for use on larger rivers or lakes where you might want longer casts. This line is also useful if you happen to be fishing on a very windy day.
    I would suggest you get the local tackle shop to attach your leader and set it to the appropriate length for you. They will be able to show you the appropriate length and how to use the correct knots.

Then all you need worry about is the tippet you use. You can buy this ready made in a tackle shop. As a beginner I would suggest using the heaviest tippet you think you will get away with. A lighter tippet allows for better presentation but if you are using very light tippets its easier to lose fish to line break or create wind knots. Again talk to your tackle dealer. I would suggest getting a small variety based on his/her suggestions.

Finally once you have everything set up, if you have a decent sized garden set up you rod and line, tie on one of your bigger flies (better still a strand of heavy wool, if not put a small piece of cork overt the hook point) and practice a few casts. If you have not got a decent sized garden use a empty field. Practice you casting and if the line is collapsing when you cast you leader and tippet are too long or you are trying to cast too far. Also you will learn how light a tippet is comfortable for you . A lighter tippet is always best, but if you cant cast with it it is absolutely no use to you. Better to use a heavier tippet that you are comfortable with. A heavier tippet that lands on the water correctly is less likely to spook a fish that a light tippet that collapses in a heap and ends up in knots. You want to catch fish not waste you time undoing knots or constantly having to replace you tippet.

Sorry very long post. But I never alter the length of my leaders, nor do I change them for heavier or lighter lines, there absolutely no need for me do do so. I might change my tippets, but you are only going to know how light you can actually go through practice and experience.

By having three reels I know exactly which reel to use in a given situation and exactly have far I can cast and still get an acceptable presentation. If you are going to be fishing the same place all the time the obviously you dont need the extra reels, just ask you tackle dealer to set up you fly line and leader for that locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭DogfoxCork

efanton wrote: »
    snip

Spot on there. ive always chosen the tippet based on what im fishing for and theyre always the same length, was told by a fella who guides a while back after he saw the hatchetry that i was deploying at the time! that most people use too long a leader and that better casting/presentation is the key.

For myself going after salmon/trout/sea trout i usually vary from 3lb fluoro on a 4weight for mountain streams going to 4-6lb on a 7wt as a general use rod and then 6-12lb for the switch rod for fishing larger bodies like estuaries for salmon/bass/sea trout cos casting that thing is just fun!
    im sure many people have their different opinions and methods that work for them, and thats the key, if you get results with your setup and are happy with it, dont change it unless it keeps producing results!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

If you are going to be fishing the same place all the time the obviously you dont need the extra reels, just ask you tackle dealer to set up you fly line and leader for that locations.

Op, efanton gives a very informative post throughout. Perhaps focus on the above part of his post - if you know where you'll be fishing - a local river or lake - build up your set up around that and go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ihaveadarksoul

Forget about all this talk of different tippets for different flies and different type of fly line. You are over complicating things.

More important is that you use the appropriate fly line and the length of the leader. It is this that will determine how light a tippet you can use and how you fly is presented.

These link should demystify the fly line codes for you, and help explain what they are used for
    https://www.bigskyfishing.com/fly-fishing-articles/fly-lines-guide4.php

Generally the heavier the fly line the further you can cast. A 7 weight line will cast further than a 5 weight line.
    A heavier line is more likely to spook the fish than a light weight line. Generally you use the lightest line you are comfortable with for a given situation. For beginners its easier for them to cast with a slightly heavier line.

So if you were fishing a small stream where you wouldn't be casting more than 20 feet a 5 weight line would be more appropriate. you dont need distance you need accuracy and a line that fall more delicately so that fish are not spooked.
    If you were on a lake or large river a heavier line (7 weight or higher) is more suitable to allow longer casts and a heavier line will help counter-act any wind.

Length of Leader is also important. The longer the leader the better as it allows a more delicate cast which is less likely to spook the fish, but it also requires more skill. Too long and it will simply collapse in a heap on the water.
    What you are looking for in a leader is that it provide a gradual transition from the thickness of the the fly line to the thickness of you tippet.
    This allows the line to unfurl smoothly as you cast so that your fly doesnt drop like a brick on the water and also helps prevent getting the line tangled with a bad cast.

Finally the tippet. Personalty I only use fluorocarbon tippets, they are less likely to be seen by fish but they are more likely to sink quicker so be sure to dress your fly with a floatant if fishing dry flies.

My advice for what it is worth, is invest in two or three reels. Load one reel with a 5 weight floating double taper for small streams, a 7 weight floating double taper for bigger streams and rivers, and finally a 7 weight floating weight forward line for use on larger rivers or lakes where you might want longer casts. This line is also useful if you happen to be fishing on a very windy day.
    I would suggest you get the local tackle shop to attach your leader and set it to the appropriate length for you. They will be able to show you the appropriate length and how to use the correct knots.

Then all you need worry about is the tippet you use. You can buy this ready made in a tackle shop. As a beginner I would suggest using the heaviest tippet you think you will get away with. A lighter tippet allows for better presentation but if you are using very light tippets its easier to lose fish to line break or create wind knots. Again talk to your tackle dealer. I would suggest getting a small variety based on his/her suggestions.

Finally once you have everything set up, if you have a decent sized garden set up you rod and line, tie on one of your bigger flies (better still a strand of heavy wool, if not put a small piece of cork overt the hook point) and practice a few casts. If you have not got a decent sized garden use a empty field. Practice you casting and if the line is collapsing when you cast you leader and tippet are too long or you are trying to cast too far. Also you will learn how light a tippet is comfortable for you . A lighter tippet is always best, but if you cant cast with it it is absolutely no use to you. Better to use a heavier tippet that you are comfortable with. A heavier tippet that lands on the water correctly is less likely to spook a fish that a light tippet that collapses in a heap and ends up in knots. You want to catch fish not waste you time undoing knots or constantly having to replace you tippet.

Sorry very long post. But I never alter the length of my leaders, nor do I change them for heavier or lighter lines, there absolutely no need for me do do so. I might change my tippets, but you are only going to know how light you can actually go through practice and experience.

By having three reels I know exactly which reel to use in a given situation and exactly have far I can cast and still get an acceptable presentation. If you are going to be fishing the same place all the time the obviously you dont need the extra reels, just ask you tackle dealer to set up you fly line and leader for that locations.

Hey, thanks for the long post, so much useful information. I do understand most things and already scheduled a meeting with local club fly fisher to go fishing. I know everything cones with practice and experience, just too curious about many things while we are all locked down at homes. Btw some ppl say they use fluorocarbon, some ppl say stay away and stick to nylon, so I guess it’s personal preferences.
    By the way went to a local park with small lake today to practice casting. In 10 minutes time 4 people asked if I got anything:/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭whelzer

My tuppence worth - have only skimmed other replies but they look good.

Been fly fishing for 20 years and have it slimmed done to the basics*.

* Have been Tenkara fishing for 2 seasons and single a trip on 25th March(I am reliving each cast every day!)...

For rivers I use Stroft nylon, prefer ABR variety for no real reason.

For loughs I use Drennen, sub suface and double strength. (I fish loughs 1-4 time a year at best)

Will go with anything from 0.5 Kg (0.10mm) for tiny dries, up with 6.7 kg (bigger mm) for streamers.

Since a couple of trips to Bosina I am only concerned with mm, x and weight systems are too different across brands.

I use either a 3 or 5 wt with a floating line for 99.9% of trout fishing (if not Tenkaraing...) 3wt for rivers (dries, nymphs), 5wt rivers for bigger flies and loughs).

I've an 8wt for bass and pike.

Leader length can be a personal thing - longer is better (puns not intended).

Seen lads in Bosnia fishing 30-40 ft leaders! I can't be dealing with that. But could easily go 25 ft max depending on conditions. However I am normally fishing small rivers will use a light furled leader (8ft) with another 8-9 ft tippet.

Wind can be a problem but what are you going to do...

Hope this does not contradict anything above...as I said its what I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭whelzer

Double post...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Someone mentioned it a few posts back. I have no proper mod powers on the phone so I'll get on the laptop and split the thread into the OPs query and the latter posts on personal choice, experiences etc later

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mach Two

On the subject of tippets. What kind of knot do ye use to join the tippet to the leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

I have nothing to add only cassette reels like the airflo switch are better than buying 3 reels! Or the greys QRS - 4 different lines can be fished from this reel (Quad rating system)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

ardinn wrote: »
    I have nothing to add only cassette reels like the airflo switch are better than buying 3 reels! Or the greys QRS - 4 different lines can be fished from this reel (Quad rating system)

The switchable cassettes are a really cool idea. Never knew they existed when I was buying my reels 10+ years ago.

Certainly would save a lot of money for anyone starting out and Airflow are a reputable brand. That reel you linked to appears to be excellent value considering you get the spare spools included.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

The switchable cassettes are a really cool idea. Never knew they existed when I was buying my reels 10+ years ago.

Certainly would save a lot of money for anyone starting out and Airflow are a reputable brand. That reel you linked to appears to be excellent value considering you get the spare spools included.

Cassette reels are not new - the switch is probably the best value for money - 5 spool reel for €80 is very good and the quality is very good too.

I like the uniqueness of the QRS - its a little heavier than the switch, but will allow you to use it on multiple rods aswell as have 4 line densities - more spools can be bought as well and are not dear.

Advertisement