Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone looking to shift a Bronica Sq-Ai?

Options
  • 24-04-2020 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭

I've wanted to dip the toe in film photography for a while and as advised by a friend I got into 35mm first. That's been enjoyable and I'm looking to progress into medium format. I would love to try a Bronica Sq-Ai and the associated square format. Hasselblads are just not an option but I've read good things about the Bronicas. Just putting it out there in case someone has one that is gathering dust and wouldn't mind moving it on.

Been keeping an eye on adverts. There's one there at the moment and I've made contact but I need to verify its condition. Just keeping my options open with this post. Thanks for looking!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

SQ-Ai's are good cameras, I've had on for years with a 50/80/150mm lenses, bunch of accessories. Pretty dependable, one thing you might have to do is re-seal the backs, that's a bit of a bugbear, I have two and I think I've had to re-seal them twice over the course of about 10 years or so. Another thing you might want to consider if you're thinking about portrait work is to get one of the extension tubes. 150mm & the s18 extension tube is a great portrait taker.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭bemak

SQ-Ai's are good cameras, I've had on for years with a 50/80/150mm lenses, bunch of accessories. Pretty dependable, one thing you might have to do is re-seal the backs, that's a bit of a bugbear, I have two and I think I've had to re-seal them twice over the course of about 10 years or so. Another thing you might want to consider if you're thinking about portrait work is to get one of the extension tubes. 150mm & the s18 extension tube is a great portrait taker.
    thanks! Must keep an eye on that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

I will second Daire. The SQ's are fantastic. It's almost difficult to take a bad picture with them.

I've got a very rare 35mm fisheye (and very underused), 40mm and 80mm. My body is beat up though. literally held together with blue tac and elastic bands.

Great camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 120Filmshooter

Can't help by selling you one but Bronica SQAi's are great cameras. Have been using an SQAi for over 20 years and never had a problem a with it. The battery compartment may need a little encouragement to make contact at times but that's about it. Always found it funny how people call them the poor mans Hasselblad, more like the shrewd man's I would say ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

The battery compartment may need a little encouragement to make contact at times but that's about it.

Hah, yes, mine is loaded with little folded bits of card under all 4 batteries, I think pete4130 had the same problem. My personal take on it, from a very small sample set, is that older LR44 batteries used to be a shade larger than modern SR44 batteries, which is what everyone uses nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 120Filmshooter

Hah, yes, mine is loaded with little folded bits of card under all 4 batteries, I think pete4130 had the same problem. My personal take on it, from a very small sample set, is that older LR44 batteries used to be a shade larger than modern SR44 batteries, which is what everyone uses nowadays.

Pretty good sign when this is the main complaint in a camera.....hardly a deal breaker :)

I have an old photography mag with a review of the SQAi when it first came out, I must scan it and post it here.

Advertisement