Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hit a dog. Owner's control?

Options
  • 23-04-2020 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Was driving along thought I hit a dog lead cause I looked back in the mirror saw a dog walking but with a lead dragging behind it owner was there so I only slowed down and as I assumed I didn't hit a dog I kept driving only then to notice after going a little bit that two people ran after me I stopped and said everything ok they said I hit the dog I said sorry and didn't realise it and threatened me with vets bill and taking car reg and I drove off now I'm worried I could be in trouble, this was in ireland in a town and I was driving under the speed limit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭LastFridayNight

You are always required to drive with due care and attention. Driving under the speed limit does not absolve you from hitting a dog. On the other hand, dog owner is responsible for keeping dog under control and possible he/she liable. So in short, it depends on what actually happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Owners fault unless you were on the path, check your car for damage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭ToddDameron

Owner's fault unless you were driving illegally in some way. Wouldn't worry about it, the idiots should have been more careful. If you have any damage on your car, they have to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭kala85

If the dogs on the road, then the dog owner should pay for the damage to your car

• Registered Users Posts: 11,929 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Irrespective of which human is at fault, I hope the dog is ok and receiving the care he/she needs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

They must be in control of the animal, it would obviously have been nice if you offered to drive to vets even in this pandemic....

Hopefully the dog will be ok but unless you were reckless and driving like a nut you won't be done unless extremely unlucky and then have to fight it...

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Maggie86

Maggie86 wrote: »
    Was driving along thought I hit a dog lead cause I looked back in the mirror saw a dog walking but with a lead dragging behind it owner was there so I only slowed down and as I assumed I didn't hit a dog I kept driving only then to notice after going a little bit that two people ran after me I stopped and said everything ok they said I hit the dog I said sorry and didn't realise it and threatened me with vets bill and taking car reg and I drove off now I'm worried I could be in trouble, this was in ireland in a town and I was driving under the speed limit.

Thanks everyone I was driving with caution cause one of the people that was in the group and jumping about on the footpath so was watching how he didnt jump out in front me so have no idea where the dog came from that's why I looked in my mirror to see what it was I thought it was the chunky dog leads that can let the lead go certain length, I also do hope the dog is ok of course but they were on the footpath and dog must have run out onto the road but dont understand why lead wasnt been held strong enough cause it wasntba big strong dog to pull it out of someone's hands, plus when the two people were speaking to me it was hard to properly understand them I think they said at one stage the dog brushed off my car, there english wasnt fluent so I have no idea exactly what happened, I checked my car and no damage. I just panicked I guess and left them.

Wrong forum. Stick it in the pet one and you'll get a lot more responses. Best of luck.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Moving to Legal Discussion, as the OP seems to be asking what their legal obligations are. Please note that the new charter applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Lately with social distancing a lot more people are walking out onto the road to avoid others walking in the opposite way on the footpath. Could the dog owner have steped onto the road to avoid somebody on the footpath and you hit the dog before they got back on the footpath?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Maggie86

No they were on the footpath and knew I was coming ots only a one way street where it happened and no cars parks on either side so it's just room for a car and a very wide footpath, like I said I was driving with caution as one of d men was skipping around the place like a child would so I was worried incase he would fall out in front of me, I didnt really realise I hit the dog until they told me so that's why I panicked and I'm just worried can they use my car reg and next thing I would have the guards at my door!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭rock22

... I didnt really realise I hit the dog until they told me so that's why I panicked and I'm just worried can they use my car reg and next thing I would have the guards at my door!

If the dog was not under control , then the owner is at fault. You are not required to stop, although it would be prudent to do so.

If they contact then sue them for damage to your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Were you driving on the path? Doesn't sound like the owners had hold of the dog.

Not sure how you would be at fault. Unless they were already crossing the road and you never saw them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

rock22 wrote: »
    If they contact then sue them for damage to your car.

Even though there’s no damage to the car ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

The onus is on the dog owner to keep the dog off the road. You have no liability. As said, they are actually liable for any damage done to your car by the dog being hit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Luimneach2018

I wouldn't worry if I were you.

Have they any details other than your reg? (e.g. did you give any contact info?)

If the incident is as you described (you were on the road and the owner did not have the dog under sufficient control and allowed it to move onto the road into your car) then the dog owner doesn't have a leg to stand on.

As the "collision" doesn't involve another car, and nobody (human) was hurt, the gardaí will have no interest, even if they weren't a little busy right now!

If they have contact details for you, they might contact you in a bid to try and put the squeeze on you, in which case just ignore them. As no damage was done to your car you have no need to enter any dialogue with the dog owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,136 ✭✭✭✭Esel

... As the "collision" doesn't involve another car, and nobody (human) was hurt, the gardaí will have no interest...
    My understanding is that a motorist is supposed (maybe even required?) to notify the Gardaí if they hit a dog (or livestock) on the road. The purpose of this is that the Gardaí may decide to investigate and possibly prosecute the animal's owner.

The issue is that people (the motorist and passengers if any and other road users or pedestrians) can be put at risk of injury or death in these cases.

Afaik, if you hit a cat, there is no such requirement.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 34,481 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yep a cat is a wild animal.

A few years ago on a country road, a massive collie dog heard my motorbike and came charging at full speed down the length of the large garden of the house on my right, across the road, and into the ditch on my left (he overshot) and was trying to come back into the road just as I passed

Would have been a massive claim against the owners if I'd hit it.

Totally irresponsible to allow an animal into the roadway.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Totally irresponsible to allow an animal into the roadway.
    Does that apply to beekeepers letting their animals out also?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Esel wrote: »
    My understanding is that a motorist is supposed (maybe even required?) to notify the Gardaí if they hit a dog (or livestock) on the road. The purpose of this is that the Gardaí may decide to investigate and possibly prosecute the animal's owner.

The issue is that people (the motorist and passengers if any and other road users or pedestrians) can be put at risk of injury or death in these cases.

Going from memory that's correct. As a broad outline you're obliged to report hitting any domesticated animal, as far as I remember, but not a wild animal and a cat is considered a wild animal.
    I think it might be under Sect 106 of the RTA but I could be wrong about that too !! It's definitely in there somewhere though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The owner lost control of the dog - How else could you have hit the dog unles the owner didn't properly keep it under control. There mere fact that they wer walking the dog alludes to that.

They can't claim a defence that what if it were a child for example, becuase a child isn't controlled on a leash. At least you did stop as in the event of an accident, you are obliged to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Owner's fault unless you were driving illegally in some way. Wouldn't worry about it, the idiots should have been more careful. If you have any damage on your car, they have to pay for it.
    kala85 wrote: »
    If the dogs on the road, then the dog owner should pay for the damage to your car
    rock22 wrote: »
    If the dog was not under control , then the owner is at fault. You are not required to stop
    seagull wrote: »
    The onus is on the dog owner to keep the dog off the road. You have no liability. As said, they are actually liable for any damage done to your car by the dog being hit.

Ignore all the above, strict liability for an animals owner for damage caused only applies to cattle or in the case of a dog when there is an attack, it also depends on whether the animal is wild or domestic - the rules of scienter apply to domestic animals, strict liability for example does not apply to a domestic dog wandering onto the road unless there is a known mischievous propensity under the scienter principle.

The normal rules of negligence apply in a situation discussed in this thread as opposed to strict liability.

My understanding is that a motorist is supposed (maybe even required?) to notify the Gardaí if they hit a dog (or livestock) on the road. The purpose of this is that the Gardaí may decide to investigate and possibly prosecute the animal's owner.

You are required to stop if not a wild animal (S106 of the Road Traffic Act 1961), and depending on weather you take possession or control of the animal there may be further legal requirements such as taking reasonable steps to find the owner, not abandon them and take reasonable steps to reduce suffering.

Yep a cat is a wild animal.
    a cat is considered a wild animal.

Pet cats are treated as domestic animals as opposed to wild animals, this was held in the Buckle vs Holmes [1926] 2 KB 125 case, such cats are “protected animals” under S2 of the Animal Health Welfare Act 2013 and afforded the various protections under the Act as any other domestic animal.

Here’s an old post of mine from 4 years ago:-
    GM228 wrote: »
    It's damage to the ops property due to the reckless action of the neighbour. Seems to fall under the criminal damage act. I'm not aware of any case law to the contrary.

]A person is only reckless if they have foreseen that the particular kind of damage that in fact was done might be done and yet has gone on to take the risk of it. Can someone reasonably forsee their animal would kill another especially if the only previous indications the owner had was limited to incursions?

The legal test for recklessness is a subjective one. As per People vs Murray [1977] IR360, DPP vs McGrath, Cagney [2008] 2 IR 111 (SC) and summarised nicely per a UK House of Lords Case Regina vs G & another [2003] UKHL 50:-
     A person acts recklessly with respect to:

(i) a circumstance when he is aware of a risk that exists or will exist;

(ii) a result when he is aware of a risk that it will occur;

and it is in the circumstances known to him, unreasonable to take the risk.

Can an owner of a dog be reckless if they weren't aware of a risk of their dog killing another animal? Would knowing your dog can escape your garden construde knowing your dog could harm another animal? 

However it's really irrelevant as cases with animals and liability are based around negligence or strict liability and not recklessness. Negligence would not satisfy the legal test of recklessness required for criminal damage.

Strict liability for a dogs actions come into play only when another person or livestock are injured or killed, but when other animals not defined under livestock (or property) are injured, damaged or killed the rules of scienter come into play (the dog owners previous knowledge of the cause which led to the damage complained of, or rather their previous knowledge of a state of facts which it was their duty to guard against and their omission to do which has led to the injury complained of). 

Liability will also depend on if an animal is wild or domestic. Owners of wild animals have strict liability whilst owners of domestic animals are only liable if it is shown the animal had vicious, mischievous or fierce propensity ([iPFitzgerald vs ED & AD Cooke Bourne Farms [1964] 1 QB 249, 270[/i]), based on the principle or scienter. Cats and dogs have previously been ruled to be domestic animals in any case law.

Scienter must be alleged by a plaintiff in the case of a domestic animal (Kelly vs Wade [1848] 12 ILR 424), and that a prior knowledge of scienter by the owner of the animal must be evident (Quinn vs Quinn 39 ILTR 163 and Howard vs Bergin O'Connor and Co. [1925] 2 IR 110. 118) before the owner is liable. In other words the dog must have shown the same propensity previously, hence the "every dog gets one bite" saying.

Evidence of a prior vicious, mischievous or fierce propensity must be specific and not general. It must relate to the specific animal and not the general characteristics of the breed and the particular damage alleged. Hence why someone may not be liable for a dog killing an animal when they have a prior knowledge of it escaping as escape and killing are not the same propensity. (Glanville L. Williams, Liability for Animals). 

Even when there is proof of scienter an owner is not liable when the act is provoked (Andrew vs Kilgour [1910] 13 WLR 608, 19 Man LR 545). I wonder could a cat sitting on a shed roof be considered provocation under the rule? I have a number of cats and I'm convinced they just sit on the roof of my shes laughing and taunting my neighbours dogs! :)

Contributory negligence can also reduce or omit liability of the owner I would imagine. Could someone allowing their cats outside on a shed when they know a dog can easily jump a 5ft wall and kill their cat be negligent for allowing it be in the position to be killed in the first place?

Dangerous dog not under control. Statute doesn't say it has to be outside the home. In any case, if it managed to get a cat in the neighbours garden it could not have remained within the boundaries of the home.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1986/act/32/section/22/enacted/en/html#sec22

Dog wardens don't have powers under Section 22 as it carries no offences. S22 applies to dangerous dogs which are not under proper control, however under Section 9 (1)(a) control of dogs does not apply to the premises of the owner. The provisions of S22 are applied by the District Court, not dog wardens. Anybody can complain to a court for it's application.
    Control of dogs

9.—(1) The owner or any other person in charge of a dog shall not permit the dog to be in any place other than

(a) the premises of the owner, or

(b) the premises of such other person in charge of the dog, or

(c) the premises of any other person, with the consent of that person,

unless such owner or such other person in charge of the dog accompanies it and keeps it under effectual control.

(2) If a dog worries livestock, the owner or any other person in charge of the dog shall be guilty of an offence unless it is established that at the material time the dog worried the livestock for the purpose of removing trespassing livestock and that having regard to all the circumstances the action was reasonable and necessary.

If S22 is used in relation to an attack of a dog it only applies when a dog attacks a person or livestock as per S22 (5) and cats for example don't fall into the definition of livestock.

Another issue is "dangerous dogs" is not defined in law here (unlike in the UK) and it would be up to a court to decide if a dog is dangerous or otherwise. As another poster has stated the act of killing a cat or even incursions may not constitute "dangerous".

Also we don't know if on this occasion the dog actually left the neighbours garden or did it simply jump high enough to catch the cat, as the OP stated it jumped and killed on it's own side of the fence, was the cat hanging over from the shed etc.

Advertisement