Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever done a TEARDOWN of your laptops

Options
  • 23-04-2020 8:39pm

I've done it on 2 of mine. Both lived to tell the tale.
    I've taken apart my Asus X550 as well as my Ideapad Z500 (Don't know how I managed to put that back together!)
    Why did I do it?

In the case of the Asus, to install an extra ram module, the poor thing has only 1 spare ram slot. In the case of the Z500 to do the same thing.

I would not do it myself if these machines were in warranty though.

Sorry I've no pics from the day.

I bet we won't see any Apple experiences on this thread.

Comments

laptops increasingly have soldered ram (a lot of non-gaming laptops now) so the only standard component that you can now replace is the m.2 ssd drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

Done this plenty of times but with the new ones there is not much to see or do there anymore.
    Almost everything is soldered in these days CPU, RAM, SSDs etc.
    Still have HP nc6400 running as linux server that has removable HDD, RAM, Wifi card and even CPU.

reklamos wrote: »
    Done this plenty of times but with the new ones there is not much to see or do there anymore.
    Almost everything is soldered in these days CPU, RAM, SSDs etc.
    Still have HP nc6400 running as linux server that has removable HDD, RAM, Wifi card and even CPU.

ssds are rarely / if ever soldered in.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

glasso wrote: »
    ssds are rarely / if ever soldered in.
    Well Apple "Think Different" and has been doing that since 2016

reklamos wrote: »
    Well Apple "Think Different" and has been doing that since 2016

Sorry, I never count Apple! you are correct there of course.

windows laptops - don't do the same.

Apple loves the storage-charge-rapage scheme of course - a very profitable racket going from the days of the first ipod.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I've fixed a lot of my old laptops. Dismantle and replace parts, clean them out etc. Spill damage etc .
    Have done the oven repair few times. I actually bought a halogen oven so I could do this easier.
    Same with mobile phones, though phones are less likely to be fixable.
    I don't do soldering though.

I like the larger gaming laptops though as generally you can replace everything on them, and easy access to the internals.
    Cheaper laptops or the expensive slim stuff there's a lot of stuff soldered on.

Advertisement