Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone still read Hotpress

Options
  • 23-04-2020 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭

The John Waters thread got me thinking of this

I have read it in about 15 years but use to think it was good.

So anyone still reading it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Apart from buying the odd edition every year or three, I used to subscribe online for a couple of years, and even when I stopped that, I frequented their message-board (until they pulled that without warning). Haven't gone near it much in the last few years...

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

I usually go by who is on the front cover, which is why I haven't purchased it in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I love music but I have a real dislike for music journalism.

It invariably reads like complete wankery, and most of the people writing it can't play an instrument themselves, and bang on about sh!t like 'relevance' and use over the top metaphors and daft descriptions to try to describe what they're hearing. Here's a recent excerpt from a Guardian review of a band called 'Jockstrap':

These songs are more radical, wonky things altogether, however. Melodies warp and distort on naive-sounding analogue synthesisers. Rhythms and arrangements shift constantly. Glimmers of hip-hop, techno and rave also lurk in odd corners.

'Naive-sounding analogue synthesisers'.

Fuck off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

The only article I read was over fifteen years ago, it suggested those of us with empty cans should put them in a bag and chuck them over the wall of Michael McDowell's house. That's a great idea even now unfortunately I don't live near his house.

Advertisement