Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emergency Covid19 legislation goes too far

Options
  • 23-04-2020 12:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/bills/bill/2020/4/

I include a link to it above but has anyone read the emergency legislation introduced by Simon Harris? I urge all to read its only 19 pages and in my opinion it is way way too far reaching; authoratarian and draconion. Please can we be grown adults and actually discuss the bill just the bill there is countless other threads for other issues.

I am not going to offer hearsay but COPY DIRECTLY from the bill. Copy the text directly.

It restricts all travel and freedom of movement

Page 12.

restrictions to be imposed upon travel to or from the State;
    (b) restrictions to be imposed upon travel to, from or within geographical locations to which an affected areas order applies,
    (c) without prejudice to the generality of paragraph (b), restrictions to be imposed upon persons or classes of persons resident in, working in or visiting locations referred to in paragraph (b) including (but not limited to) –
    (i) requiring persons to remain in their homes, or
    (ii) without prejudice to any other provisions of this Act or regulations made thereunder requiring persons to remain in such other places, as may be specified by the Minister;
    (c) the prohibition of events, or classes of an event, including (but not limited to)

It has the authority to ban all gatherings
    Page 12

c) the prohibition of events, or classes of an event, including (but not limited to) events –
    (i) which, by virtue of the nature, format, location or environment of the event concerned or the arrangements for, or the activities involved in, or the numbers likely to be attending, the event could reasonably be considered to pose a risk of infection with Covid-19 to persons attending the event,
    (ii) at specified geographical locations to which an affected areas order

Page 17
    Allows detention of citizens and forced into quarrantine if a medical officer of health "believes in good faith" they may have it

– (1) Where, having regard to the matters specified in subsection (2), a medical officer of health believes in good faith that –
    (a) a person is a potential source of infection, and
    (b) the person is a potential risk to public health, and
    (c) his or her detention or isolation is appropriate in order to –
    (i) prevent, limit, minimise or slow the spread of Covid-19, and
    (ii) minimise the risk to human life and public health, and
    (d) such person cannot be effectively isolated, refuses to remain or appears unlikely to remain in his or her home or other accommodation arranged, or agreed, by the Health Service Executive,
    the officer may in writing order the detention and isolation of such person in a specified hospital or other place (including such other hospital or other place as may subsequently be appropriate and specified in the order) until such time as the medical officer certifies that the person’s detention is no longer required for the purposes of this section.

These are are just three things that in my opinion are incredibly far reaching and authoratarian and it is far far too much power to give a man Simon Harris who is a college dropout. He does not have qualifacations to do literally ANY skilled or semi skilled job yet he has this extraordinary powers to wield.
    Think about that.

Its also worth noting the sunset clause means this legislation won't be reviewed (notice not removed) til 9 November 2020.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,616 ✭✭✭Allinall

These are are just three things that in my opinion are incredibly far reaching and authoratarian and it is far far too much power to give a man Simon Harris who is a college dropout. He does not have qualifacations to do literally ANY skilled or semi skilled job yet he has this extraordinary powers to wield.
    Think about that.

Its also worth noting the sunset clause means this legislation won't be reviewed (notice not removed) til 9 November 2020.

I thought you were being serious until I got to the highlighted bit.

The legislation was passed by the Oireachtas, not Simon Harris.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

So when the depression and suicide angle didn't work now you're attacking Harris' qualifications. Good man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Lonesomerhodes

Allinall wrote: »
    I thought you were being serious until I got to the highlighted bit.

The legislation was passed by the Oireachtas, not Simon Harris.

Never once said he passed it those are your words not mine!.

The bill its littered with references to powers granted to Minister of Health. Over and over and over

One example
    Page 8 article 40A

Minister may, following consultation with the Minister for Health,
    with the consent of the Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform,
    and having regard to the matters specified in subsection (2), make
    regulations for the purposes of giving full effect to the relevant
    provisions and such regulations may, in particular, but without
    prejudice to the generality of the foregoing, provide for all or any of
    the following:
    (a) the matters referred to as prescribed by the relevant provision

There ya go.

Simom Harris is a college dropout from thats simply fact.

I do think lockdown has led to suicides and was going to post umpteen articles and news reports supporting this in another thread but the mod asks for evidence then closes the thread immediately after asking; before I can provide it and ignored my PM!.
    Beside the point.

Why won't anyone actually read it?. Genuinely.

I'm at a loss as to why people will not read it and make up their own mind

I even included the link so you just click and scroll down to the bill!.

Once read people will see its far too authoratarian and far too many powers given to a man with just a leaving certificate.
    That's fact. He never graduated college Harris.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,348 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Never once said he passed it those are your words not mine!.

The bill its littered with references to powers granted to Minister of Health. Over and over and over

One example
    Page 8 article 40A

Minister may, following consultation with the Minister for Health,
    with the consent of the Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform,
    and having regard to the matters specified in subsection (2), make
    regulations for the purposes of giving full effect to the relevant
    provisions and such regulations may, in particular, but without
    prejudice to the generality of the foregoing, provide for all or any of
    the following:
    (a) the matters referred to as prescribed by the relevant provision

There ya go.

Simom Harris is a college dropout from thats simply fact.

I do think lockdown has led to suicides and was going to post umpteen articles and news reports supporting this in another thread but the mod asks for evidence then closes the thread immediately after asking; before I can provide it and ignored my PM!.
    Beside the point.

Why won't anyone actually read it?. Genuinely.

I'm at a loss as to why people will not read it and make up their own mind

I even included the link so you just click and scroll down to the bill!.

Once read people will see its far too authoratarian and far too many powers given to a man with just a leaving certificate.
    That's fact. He never graduated college Harris.

so what? he doesn't make decisions in isolation.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,056 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

What's your obsession with him having dropped out of college?

What's that got to do with the price of cabbages? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭SetOverSet

I'm not sure if you're being purposely disingenuous. Yes, the legislation is unprecedented, but these are extraordinary times. I fully accept that these are especially difficult times for those who struggle with mental health issues but the legislation is, I would suggest, proportional and necessary, having regard to the current health crisis.

Some of the text you quote in your first post is from the new S31A of the Health Act 1947 inserted by S10 of the Health (Preservation and Protection and Other Emergency Measures in the Public Interest) Act 2020.. You have linked to the Emergency Measures in the Public Interest (Covid-19) Act 2020. Just for info, the correct link, I think, is https://data.oireachtas.ie/ie/oireachtas/act/2020/1/eng/enacted/a0120.pdf.

In any case, you seem to suggest that this legislation 'restricts all travel and freedom of movement'. No such regulations have been made. I think the reference to a lockdown is unhelpful. People can still get out and exercise, albeit within 2km of their home. And can still go shopping for groceries, medical supplies and other essentials.

You do appear to unhealthy fixation on Simon Harris, but the 'power' you refer to in S40A as an example allows the Minister for Employment Affairs and Social Protection to amend the Social Welfare Consolidation Act 2005.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

The spelling is ‘authoritarian’.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,722 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Moderator: There is already a thread on this topic.

Politicians are not required to have any qualifications or to complete any courses in which they may or may not have been enrolled at any time.

Thread closed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Mod
    Pls cease the personal remarks about Simon Harris's education
    I recall Seán Lemass remarking years ago that a Dáil full of university graduates would not be good for the country ( or words to that effect )

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement