Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a snappy, reliable laptop at around €500. Help appreciated.

Options
  • 22-04-2020 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭

My girlfriend has finally decided to replace her awful old Dell laptop. Waiting 10 minutes for it to do anything has finally got to her. It was a dud from the start. I've been tasked with finding a new one as I know slightly more than her.

Above all else the new laptop needs to be snappy and reliable. It would be used for writing a PhD thesis. So that'd involve having several programs like chrome, word, powerpoint, adobe as well as some chemistry programs (Chemdraw and Mestre nova fwiw) open at the same time.

She has no intention of using it for gaming or movies. It doesn't need to have much storage. I suppose even a 256gb SSD would suffice.

She isn't too concerned with aesthetics, thickness, weight or battery life either.

She has always been reluctant to buy online as she likes the peace of of mind of knowing she can just walk back into the shop if she has any issues, but that's obviously out of the question now. Therefore a well-known supplier is preferential. Amazon or laptopsdirect at a push.

I appreciate any help anyone can give finding a laptop like that.
    Thanks

Comments

Advertisement