Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inspired by TV & Movies

Options
  • 22-04-2020 8:55pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Thought I'd try a more conversational thread, it's been a while!

Have you ever been inspired by a TV or film character in your fashion or beauty? When watching Gossip Girl I got into a phase of wearing my hair in a high pony, plaited, inspired by one Miss Serena Van Der Woodsen. My hair is just long enough now to do it again, did it yesterday :)

I've just binged Sex and the City and am inspired to dress up more when this is all over! I like my day to day style, but there's plenty of stuff I have for "good wear" that I need to pull out and starting wearing the pub!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Ooh, all the time, but I never feel like I can successfully pull it off (especially my hair). A show like Gossip Girl sends me over the edge because I love all the style and fashion, but then I get very depressed that I don't have a face, body and hair like Blake Lively :D.

Mad Men taught me a lot about wearing dresses with flared skirts and nipped-in waists, which has become my signature style. I have tried and tried and tried to do my hair in a french bun but I just can't do it.

I've been watching Schitt's Creek recently and, while I could never pull off Alexis's style, I have been doing my makeup a bit more like hers, and trying for a softer curl in my hair when I can be bothered.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Oh Mad Men is just endless inspiration, so stylish! I loved Megan's wardrobe and beauty change in the 60s.

I also love Alexis' hair, but am utterly hopeless at styling hair. I have a lot of love for Moira as well, but maybe that inspiration should be a bit more toned down :) There are season 6 SPOILERS in this article about Moira's look https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/2020/04/9667242/moira-rose-schitts-creek-best-hair-makeup-looks Apparently it was Catherine O'Hara's idea to not line the cupids bow on her lips, just to go straight across. They were trying different colours for her signature red and nothing looked right, and then she said "let me try something"! The red is Ruby Woo by MAC.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I love that Moira is dressed up to the nines every single day, despite being unemployed, destitute and living in a motel :D. Nothing stops her, she even has broaches on her pyjamas. I wish I had her energy for looking good and lack of self-consciousness! Really interesting about her lips too, I’d never noticed.

Advertisement