Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

yeast storage

Options
  • 22-04-2020 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

Anyone any advice on best way to store yeast after opening?
    About to open a 500g bag of safale s04

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

That's a lot of yeast.

Transfer to an airtight container and keep in the fridge

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

This is from a technical date sheet:

36 months from production date.
    During transport: The product can be transported and stored at room temperature for periods of time not exceeding
    3 months without affecting its performance.
    At final destination: Store in cool (< 10°C/50°F), dry conditions.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It's meant to be used all at once though. It's a sachet for commercial-sized batches.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭slipperyox

BeerNut wrote: »
    It's meant to be used all at once though. It's a sachet for commercial-sized batches.

I know. but it was the only size they had in a local place.

Dice it up and post some out to you guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

if you had access to a vac packer, I would probably recommend using it to seal up some of the yeast in a variety of sizes. Moisture is probably the main issue here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I would get small glass honey/jam pots if you can, like from hotels, fill to the brim and cap and stick in the fridge.

I had bread yeast in the fridge which was well out of date and still highly active, I have read online that many other have found the same.

Advertisement