Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cube attain gtc sl 2020

Options
  • 22-04-2020 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a nuroad 2018 model and want to upgrade.

I was thinking the cube attain gtc sl carbon 2020 model at 2k.

Specification:
    Frame material: GTC Monocoque Twin Mold Technology
    Nett weight (KG): 8,6
    Gear shifting system: SHIMANO Ultegra RD-R8000-DGS, 11-Speed
    Rear derailleur: Shimano Ultegra RD-R8000-DGS, 11-Speed
    Front derailleur: Shimano Ultegra FD-R8000-BM, 31.8mm Clamp
    Chain: Shimano CN-HG600-11
    Crankset: Shimano Ultegra FC-R8000, Hollowtech II, 50x34T, 170mm (50/53cm), 172.5mm (56/58cm), 175mm (60/62cm)
    Crankset chainring sizes: 50x34T
    Cassette: Shimano CS-R7000, 11-32T
    Number of gears: 22
    Brakes: Shimano 105 BR-R7070, Hydr. Disc Brake, Flat Mount (160/160)
    Fork: CUBE CSL Race Disc, Full Carbon, Flat Mount, 1 1/8" - 1 1/4" Tapered, 12x100mm
    Headset: FSA I-t, Top Integrated 1 1/8", Bottom Integrated 1 1/4"
    Stem: Newmen Evolution 318.4, 31.8mm
    Handlebar: Newmen Evolution Wing Bar
    Handlebar tape: CUBE Grip Control
    Wheelset: Fulcrum Racing 77 DB
    Front tire: Conti Grand Sport Race SL, 28-622
    Rear tire: Conti Grand Sport Race SL, 28-622
    Saddle: Natural Fit Nuance Lite
    Seat post: Newmen Evolution, 27.2mm
    Seat clamp: CUBE Screwlock, 31.8mm

Does anyone own one and what is their experience of it like please?

Any alternatives that someone might suggest. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

It looks like batman's bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

This canyon comes that comes in stealth black as well might interest you.
    https://www.canyon.com/en-ie/road-bikes/race-bikes/ultimate/ultimate-cf-sl-disc-7.0/2156.html

Have never rode a cube but seen a good few around probably because of their price.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭devonp

think the Attain is an endurance (relaxed geometry) bike

the Canyon Ultimate (linked) is more racey (aggressive), if thinking Canyon you prob want the Endurace models

or Cannondale Synapse, Trek Domane, Specialized roubaix etc

Thanks for replies. I dont mind a more relaxed position as I'm going from a nuroad to an attain.
    I was told by a bike mechanic to stay clear of cannodales as their frames are known to fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭rayman1

I have a Cube Attain GTC Race and find it great. Very comfortable bike for long spins.

• Advertisement

Never heard that about cannondales before, and dont think it's true considering most frames are made by the same manufacturer. Wouldn't trust everything a mechanic says they will try and steer you off going elsewhere.

What is your budget and what are you looking for in a new bike? What size?

Personally around the 2000€ price range I'd go for a giant tcr advanced 105 disc. Really good frameset for the price and 105 is all you need in a groupset. Here's a review on it https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bikes/road-bikes/giant-tcr-advanced-2-disc-review/

That cube looks perfectly nice at good price, it should be a good buy if that's what you are asking.

rayman1 wrote: »
    I have a Cube Attain GTC Race and find it great. Very comfortable bike for long spins.

Very nice, what year is it and what price was it please?

I think they are about €1700 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I have one. It's VERY upright. It's an ideal endurance ride bike.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pbcirf97mlsnjdg/Cube%20Attain.JPG?dl=0

Tony04 wrote: »
    Never heard that about cannondales before, and dont think it's true considering most frames are made by the same manufacturer. Wouldn't trust everything a mechanic says they will try and steer you off going elsewhere.

What is your budget and what are you looking for in a new bike? What size?

Personally around the 2000€ price range I'd go for a giant tcr advanced 105 disc. Really good frameset for the price and 105 is all you need in a groupset. Here's a review on it https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bikes/road-bikes/giant-tcr-advanced-2-disc-review/

That cube looks perfectly nice at good price, it should be a good buy if that's what you are asking.

I have about €1500 and should get roughly €500 for my nuroad so yeah 2k.
    I like the giant but there is very little tyre clearance after 28cc. I would like to get 32's on there as it will be more for comfort/endurance than speed.

The nuroad I have is a great bike and I dont need another really. Its just a once off for my 40th birthday so the wife is letting me get it. Under normal circumstances she would let me spend €500 max down in halfords.

So I want something that I will be happy with for a while. Thanks for reply.

I'd reccomend this giant defy as the best alternative if you want wider tyres, giant offers good framesets for the price and if your buying a bike that will be your only steed for a while, the frameset is what to look out for as you can slowly upgrade the parts without her noticing. https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ie/defy-advanced-2-2020
    It's a little over 2000 but you might be able to negotiate it down with your lbs.

• Advertisement

Tony04 wrote: »
    I'd reccomend this giant defy as the best alternative if you want wider tyres, giant offers good framesets for the price and if your buying a bike that will be your only steed for a while, the frameset is what to look out for as you can slowly upgrade the parts without her noticing. https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ie/defy-advanced-2-2020
    It's a little over 2000 but you might be able to negotiate it down with your lbs.

Yeah that's very nice too. I will ask about it in the shop. It is a little bit dearer and the cube has ultegra but the ultergra is the same really as the 105, just lighter I read. Only 3 years warranty on cube frames though.

Thank you.

byrnem31 wrote: »
    Yeah that's very nice too. I will ask about it in the shop. It is a little bit dearer and the cube has ultegra but the ultergra is the same really as the 105, just lighter I read. Only 3 years warranty on cube frames though.

Thank you.

I went with the giant defy advanced 2 in the end. The lifetime frame warranty was the clincher for me as suggested. It can accommodate bigger tyres and is kinda semi gravel whereas the cube was more road bike with 28's. 32' cc tubeless on the giant too so it should be more comfortable.

Cyclesuperstore wated €1736 with my nuroad. Penny farthing done it for €1600 so its ordered and on the way.

Thanks everyone as it's nice to get different suggestions as I never really knew how good the advanced was.

byrnem31 wrote: »
    I . It can accommodate bigger tyres and is kinda semi gravel whereas the cube was more road bike with 28's. 32' cc tubeless on the giant too so it should be more comfortable.

That's the nice thing about the defy if you want to ride a bit of gravel you can put on maybe 35c even 38c tyres. Where as if you want to try some sportives you could get a lighter wherlset with 28c tyres. Definitely a frameset you'll keep though with the hydr discs. Good luck with it.

What a bike. Thanks tony for the suggestion.
    I was worried that the giant would not be as comfortable as the cube but its on another level.
    Everything about the giant defy advanced 2 is better. It comfortable yet very fast. It's great to have hydraulic brakes again.
    No road buzz and it sails over the roads. Had it on gravel too and it was fine.
    It turns and responds very well to the power you put in it. It's an amazing bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Looks better in the flesh than the marketing pics - good choice.

Some beauty (I wont mention the pedals), could imagine it flying up gravelly ascents. Do you have a picture of it in the flesh? Also for gravel you might consider getting some clear protective tape for the frame to keep the paint fresh if you haven't already.

The pedals are double sided shimano spd. I might spray them black. They would look a lot nicer.
    There is a guy in walkinstown that will wrap it for €120. I'll have to think about it. I'm broke now at this stage, €2250 is a lot for a bike. Few years back I was cycling a steel dawes hybrid worth about €150.

My bad I haven't seen that make of pedal before. I just saw the spikes that ripped up my shins on my first set of mtb pedals. You can get frame protection kits for about 20 online.
    https://youtu.be/eSBD335djOc
    https://youtu.be/Sx33VR_Vy_Q

Advertisement