Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RF extender for Virgin remote control

Options
  • 21-04-2020 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've recently set up my Virgin box to run on HDBaseT to my TV room. The picture is fine but I then discovered that the Virgin remote uses RF not IR, doh...

I have a universal remote that I can use instead but the IR experience is crap compared to RF, or the IR receiver and/or emitter on the HDBaseT box is useless. Is there an RF extender that I could use to extend the range of the Virgin remote instead?

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

what STB do you have?

how far do you need the signal extended

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭yoozername

what STB do you have?

how far do you need the signal extended

Thanks for your reply.

It's the Horizon box, Samsung SMT-G7400. I need to get it through a concrete floor and 2 rooms over...

yoozername wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply.

It's the Horizon box, Samsung SMT-G7400. I need to get it through a concrete floor and 2 rooms over...

I should say that's it's a concrete floor but a mezzanine at the end where I need the signal so it's not a simple sealed off concrete floor. The mezzanine should help in this case

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭swampy353

I should say that's it's a concrete floor but a mezzanine at the end where I need the signal so it's not a simple sealed off concrete floor. The mezzanine should help in this case

Horizon takes both rf and ir, the rf is for the more advanced features eg keyboard but have used a harmony ir remote with the horizon box.
    Ir will cover the majority of buttons on front of remote.

Thanks for your reply.

So yea, the remote is RF on horizon but it can use IR also, to a limited degree. Search, for example, wont work on an IR remote as you cant do letter entry without the keyboard on the IR remote. as another poster said, harmony's have the codes for the Horizon box for IR.

You can get IR and RF extenders on amazon etc.

BUT!!! last time I checked ( admittedly a good while back) the virgin app on android and ios has a remote control built in for horizon. try that before buying anything.

• Advertisement

Thanks for your replies. I have a Harmony remote and IR receiver/emitter for the HDBaseT unit but it's working very poorly. Need to be a sharpshooter to hit the IR receiver just right, and even then it's very unreliable. And as you mentioned, some functions aren't available on IR, so I think I need the RF to work

the receiver on a horizon box is just as the box starts to curve towards the top approx a pen length from the left. if you turn it and catch the light right you can see it. Really helps to have the emitter in exactly the right place.

Thank for that. Surprisingly, no matter where I moved it, it was hit and miss. It wasn't until I put the glass door back on the comms cabinet (where the Virgin box is) that it started to work! I assume the glass reflected the IR signal to the right spot on the box. Funny how these things happen. Thanks again for your replies and help!

Advertisement