Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multiple miscarriages

Options
  • 21-04-2020 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭

3 miscarriages since October last year.

1st was 2 weeks, 2nd 11 weeks and 3rd 8 weeks.

Is there anything we can change, accepting it, not self blaming but wondering if there are approaches to reduce the risks.

Tks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Toastytoes

Danzy wrote: »
    3 miscarriages since October last year.

1st was 2 weeks, 2nd 11 weeks and 3rd 8 weeks.

Is there anything we can change, accepting it, not self blaming but wondering if there are approaches to reduce the risks.

Tks

Sorry for your losses, it’s very tough to take.

Speak to your GP about being referred to the recurrent miscarriage clinic who should be able to do some investigation.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Sorry to hear about that, and as the above poster said, you can be referred for tests after 3 losses. In my case nothing came of the tests. They all came back normal. I had 3 losses after the birth of my first baby. Dr put me on progesterone and I conceived and had second baby without any other issues. Third baby came as a total surprise.
    Looking back I put it down to stress. I was more stressed at work even though I didn’t really realise it at the time. Two of my friends would agree with me. One had a baby through ivf but had second and third babies after maternity leave. Another friend left her job in a toxic workplace and just welcomed her first baby recently.
    Obviously there can be many other issues at play but in my situation it was definitely a big factor i think.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I'm sorry for your losses.

The short answer is that they really don't know what causes miscarraiges other than most women will have at least one. I found that trying to get any help or referrals on the public system for investigation an utter pain.

There's no one 'thing' that causes miscarraige - especially in the early weeks - that they can pinpoint, but recent reseach has indicated that sperm quality can factor in much more than they originally thought, so the things women do such as smoking cessation or cutting alcohol intake, taking supplements, eating healthier etc when they start thinking about trying for a baby, are all things that they think can also affect the sperm at a DNA level. So a health overhaul for dad as well as mum can help conception and pregnancy in general.

There are other things - progesterone for example, and obviously there's a standard list of tests that can be done - my experience of those tests were that there was no reason for any of my miscarraiges. It was just one of those things. There are also indepth tests you can get privately such as Chicago bloods, in-depth clotting analysis and Serum in Athens (I think) do an indepth antibiotic course for unexplained infertilty or recurrent miscarriage based on a theory that the standard tests may not pick up some low level infection that could be causing losses. Reproductive medicine still have a lot unknown about it.
    Things might have changed since my last MC a few years ago but my experience was that other countries are a lot more pro-active than the HSE about miscarraiges, but that might be different now.

I came out the other side of it none the wiser I'm afraid. Had I more time on my side I think I would have explored options overseas a bit more aggressively, but I was already the far side of 40 with ever diminishing stats.

The very best of luck - I hope you find your answers and that they are easily resolved.

Advertisement